Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Flower bloom in Death valley

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Flower bloom in Death valley

I was buzzed by two Navy jets at Eureka Dunes, too. There is plenty of target range desert that they could do that over without disturbing a National Park.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I think the navy buzzing photographers at Eureka Dunes is one of those things that has to be experience at least once. Like you aren't a REAL photographer unless you've been buzzed at Eureka Dunes . It happened both times I was there. I hiked up with the 8x10 the second trip and I swear I was eye to eye with the pilot.
    Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
    Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Drew Wiley

Superblooms in DV have occurred only three times in my lifetime. In each case there has also been a huge shallow ephemeral lake there too. There are a least two websites dedicated to predicting spring blooms in southern CA. Certain spots attract such big hordes of LA folk that they get closed off. Even better spots get relatively few people, while the very best are well kept secrets and not easily accessible. But imagine the earth looking like every inch of it was sprayed with fluorescent paint every direction you turn. No need for Photoshop. You wont get that in DV, but a remarkable blend of earthtones splattered with wildflowers carpeting and patches of green. Photographically, I prefer the "less is more" option; but intense superblooms are worth seeing for their own sake. It not only takes an unusually wet year, but rains at the right time relative to resident flower species. The tricky thing with DV is that if the bloom peaks in March, you'll also have a lot of wind and blowing clay dust - hell on view camera gear. If Feb, it's heavenly.

i just saw a wonderful documentry last night about superblooms that was so inspiring.

see it here...

https://www.pbs.org/video/outside-be...-bloom-msqdxe/

One of my favorite views each year is looking down on the Navy jets from Dante's View.

Is it the Navy or the Air Force? Edwards AFB is not far away...

Drew Wiley

There is quite a bit going on in the InyoKern area. There is a forum member who once worked on a base in that area. I was distinctly unamused by being deliberately buzzed by very low flying Navy jets out on a desert playa in that area once. The only "UFO" I've ever seen -a strange enormous early stealth design - had a Navy logo and no doubt came from somewhere around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There is quite a bit going on in the InyoKern area. There is a forum member who once worked on a base in that area. I was distinctly unamused by being deliberately buzzed by very low flying Navy jets out on a desert playa in that area once. The only "UFO" I've ever seen -a strange enormous early stealth design - had a Navy logo and no doubt came from somewhere around there.
    Probably a bit of deception...the Navy doesn't fly any stealth aircraft...(that we know of!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Is it the Navy or the Air Force? Edwards AFB is not far away...
    Navy F/A-18 Hornets and F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets from Naval Air Station Lemoore.

I was driving southbound on 395 once, my wife dozing in the front passenger seat, when one of them approached our car on a simulated strafing run with us as the target. It was in the middle of a turn, wings vertical, probably 100 feet above ground level. I had enough time to yell just one word -- "jet!" -- to wake her up. By the time she opened her eyes, the only evidence was a loud roar as that aircraft passed overhead.