Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof cameras before 1945

Re: Linhof cameras before 1945

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It is nice that the old camera is working but shouldn't you then be using a lens and shutter from the same era?
    The cameras was not delivered with ist original lens (Meyer Satz Plasmat 17.3)...
    I dont have old lenses for this format that would allow scheimpflug...

As it is my newest and only GF camera, why should I not use alle suitable lensens... Btw I have no other perfect camera for the symmar, it is a bit long for the baby technika and it is difficult to mount as the rear element does not fit through the lens plate hole...
    Can only mount it by removing the rear lens an screwing it in afterwards through the back of the camera... endangeres the bellows...
    Have bought it for the Baby Technika III, but now it fits better with the 10x15

Today I could not get a Technika II 13x18 with Satz Plasmat 22.3... on ebay, also last week I did not get a Plasmat 17.3.... Still working on it.

I also have to CLA the shutter (1920s) of the Tessar 180 first....

A question to experieced LF users...

With suxh a technika, what would your practical aperture setting (for a flat all infinity subject...)
    There is diffraction at small apertures (but would that be relevant for a 30x40 print), and there is the question if "wide open" (5.6-11) there could be issues with the fit of the old plate/film magzines and with the film flatness in the holder itself...
    I read the calculation article here, but I wolud like to get some hints from the 4x5 guys, what is a reasonable aperture for the Syymar S 5.6/210 for example. Theoretically the lens should perform best at 11?, but if shutter speed is no problem, would you go for 16/22/32? for safety reasons? Yust a practical advice to get started into LF without to many side problems... Thanks.

Valid questions. Depends. 30X40 confuses as without a 'metric' specified you may be discussing very different print sizes by factor of 2.54.

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    A question to experieced LF users...

With suxh a technika, what would your practical aperture setting (for a flat all infinity subject...)
    There is diffraction at small apertures (but would that be relevant for a 30x40 print), and there is the question if "wide open" (5.6-11) there could be issues with the fit of the old plate/film magzines and with the film flatness in the holder itself...
    I read the calculation article here, but I wolud like to get some hints from the 4x5 guys, what is a reasonable aperture for the Syymar S 5.6/210 for example. Theoretically the lens should perform best at 11?, but if shutter speed is no problem, would you go for 16/22/32? for safety reasons? Yust a practical advice to get started into LF without to many side problems... Thanks.

LF lenses are usually optimised for f22. This is more noticeable with Tessar & Tessar type lenses where edge and corner sharpness can be softer at wider apertures and only become sharp by about f16 and really are at their best at f22. I use these lenses quite a lot. I almost always use my Symmars, Sronars, Angulons (inc Super) at f22 someimes f32,

Before WWII most images in Europe from 9x12 cameras were rarely enlarged that much, I'm assuming by 30x40 your mean cm so around 12"x16", most were enlarged no more than 10"x8", that's from exhibitions of contemporary prints I've seen.

Ian

sorry for the 30x40, but in germany we are so metric that we even cant assume that it can be understood different than 30x40 cm... We have no feeling for inches and need a calculator for them...

Thanks Ian for the practical tipp, as a lifelong f1.4-8 FF shooter you have to adjust that double digit apertures are not to be avoided...

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    sorry for the 30x40, but in germany we are so metric that we even cant assume that it can be understood different than 30x40 cm... We have no feeling for inches and need a calculator for them...

Thanks Ian for the practical tipp, as a lifelong f1.4-8 FF shooter you have to adjust that double digit apertures are not to be avoided...
    Probably one of the reasons pre-WWII 9x12 negatives (in Europe) were rarely blown up past 10x8 was the emulsions were quite slow and photographers were using lenses at wider apertures except perhaps for landscapes, I'm thinking of photographers like Brassai (Paris by Night), Kertesz, etc. There's some short sequences depicting Brassai shooting with a 9x12 (and flash) in the film Henry and June.

The other factor is the effects of un-coated lenses and films/plates being exposed and developed to much higher contrasts than we use today to help counteract the flare. This will be across the formats.

Ian

I have one that is somewhat like this. It doesn't have the back movements and I'm not sure it has swings in the front. It does have rise and shift. It was missing its back when I got it so I fastened a B&J 5x7 spring back on it and called it good. It is in pretty poor shape but I have it put together and light-tight so I can use it. When open and on the tripod, it is pretty solid. I use a 203/7.7 Ektar with it and I like how the shots come out.

Quote Originally Posted by noface0711 View Post
    I have one that is somewhat like this. It doesn't have the back movements and I'm not sure it has swings in the front. It does have rise and shift. It was missing its back when I got it so I fastened a B&J 5x7 spring back on it and called it good. It is in pretty poor shape but I have it put together and light-tight so I can use it. When open and on the tripod, it is pretty solid. I use a 203/7.7 Ektar with it and I like how the shots come out.
    You have a Linhof Standard then, practically a Technika without the back movements an front swings.
    Seems to be a 13x18 cm when a 5x7 inch back is fitting. there prpose was mor a press camera...

What serial Nr does it have and what logo design (the two lens design, a bit like Zeiss?

The early Linhof (Standard) was a continuation of the Perka Präzisions-Camerawerk models sold by Meyer and Porst as a Silar. Linhof took over the company when it ceased trading in around 1930. It was advertised and sold under a different name as well (pre-1930).

Ian

some Pictures that illustrate the differences between the Prewar I/II and the first postwar III (Mod 1) technikas

Comparison Technika II / III by xipho68, auf Flickr

III left side!