Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Linhof cameras before 1945

Re: Linhof cameras before 1945

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    With in large part the help of this thread and other sources these are the notes I have about the Perka camera company. If anyone can add to the info or correct me please do.

Perka
    (1922 – 1931)
    Perka Precision Camerawerk Munich, likely began as an independent camera company around 1922 and had become a part of Linhof Munich when they were last made about 1931.
    It seems the Linhof brand still-picture cameras disappear around WWI and Perka arrives following the war about 1922.
    Linhof made a couple of movie cameras in the 1920’s the 17.5mm (split 35mm film) Linhof COCO from 1921 and the 35mm Linhof AMATA from 1925.
    Linhof branded still-picture camera advertisements reappear in the late 1920’s. The same time Perka is supplying cameras to German retail giant Porst who sells them under the Silar house brand with with the high quality and expensive Triple-Convertable Meyer-Plasmat lens.
    Perka also supplied cameras to the Optical Werk Dr. Staeble. Just like the Porst arrangement Perka is supplying the Staeble Unoplast branded camera for Dr. Staeble to sell their own lenses on it.
    According to the Linhof 50th anniversary catalog of 1937 the Perka name was retired in 1933, shortly after Nikolaus Karpf began running the company. It is not uncommon to see cameras with both Perka and Linhof names stamped in the leather or engraved in the metal.
    Fun Fact: The original Linhof ''Technika,, prototype was made from a Perka body.
    these are nice infos on the Perka, great.
    I now have a nice little 6x9 prewar, pre-Technika Präzisionskamera on my workbench for restauration , it's brass label reads 'Linhof Linhof-Camera-Werk München'.
    I guess its made before 1920, bellows still lighttight, mechanics still working great after over 100 years-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	210020

Additionally the is a series of identical precision cameras sold under the then well known brand ' Schaja', maybe this is related to the big photohouse ' Porst', too. Schaja was known for its big camera related photo catalogues then, you can still find some of the Schaja catalogues on ebay.
    stay healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I spent a week with the Linhof "team" at their factory back in 2003 while they were considering my then-latest (L-1) camera design. Such a great bunch of folks...lots of lively discussions, great energy and camraderie. While my camera ultimately did not make sense for them to pursue as its "DNA" was/is so very different from theirs (same thing happened with Sinar in 2011 with the L-45A) - I still had a wonderful time. Most impressive were the old, extremely hefty, and very precise machines on the factory floor, as well as the rows of freshly made parts and assemblies.

Interesting note: I do have what I believe is a pre-WWII 5x7 Linhof Technika (a yard-sale find from years back), and ended up cannibalizing this (keeping track of everything of course in case I ever want to reassemble it!). At any rate...this old camera's focussing bed has become the focussing mechanism on my DIY horizontal enlarger, while I've grafted the rotating back and bellows onto my (latest) L-45A to make it a 5x7!
    Wow! That must have been amazing! I hope to visit some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessa72 View Post
    these are nice infos on the Perka, great.
    I now have a nice little 6x9 prewar, pre-Technika Präzisionskamera on my workbench for restauration , it's brass label reads 'Linhof Linhof-Camera-Werk München'.
    I guess its made before 1920, bellows still lighttight, mechanics still working great after over 100 years-

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	210020

Additionally the is a series of identical precision cameras sold under the then well known brand ' Schaja', maybe this is related to the big photohouse ' Porst', too. Schaja was known for its big camera related photo catalogues then, you can still find some of the Schaja catalogues on ebay.
    I will look into the Schaja brand. Your Linhof looks very much like those from adverts about 1928

Name:	1928 linhof-advert1928-sm.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	210048

Here are my current notes on the Linhof and Linhof type cameras from 1900 to 1949. As always feel free to voice corrections as it is a work in progress. (camera maker is in the parentheses)

These companies were active between world war I & II:

Linhof Precision Camera Werk
    (1887 to Present in Munich, Germany)
    The original 1900’s Linhof Precision Cameras are very special. An intricate wonder they are all metal with polished aluminum and knurled chromed-brass fittings in a rather ornate Art Nouveau style.
    By the Linhof Catalog of 1911 we see a more streamlined early Art Deco styling with less ornate features. The aluminum parts are now painted black, the rest in chrome, giving a stark look. Linhof’s are available in Tall (Hoch), Square( Quer) with rotating back, and Stereo shapes in a full range of sizes. 6x4.5, 6x9, 9x12, 10x15, 13x18, a 6x9 Rollfilm & a “Special” 6x13 Stereo camera.
    Little is now known about the Linhof Precision Cameras Werk of the WWI time period until the mid 1920’s. Linhof however did produce 2 motion picture cameras during the first half of the 1920s. Apparently gone since 1913, Linhof branded camera advertisements reappear in the late 1920’s.

Perka Precision Camera Werk (Acquired by Linhof)
    (1922 – 1931 Munich, Germany)
    Perka Precision Camerawerk Munich, likely began as an independent camera company around 1922 and had become a part of Linhof Munich when they were last made about 1931. It seems the Linhof brand still-picture cameras disappear around WWI and Perka arrives following the war about 1922. Linhof made a couple of movie cameras in the 1920’s the 17.5mm (split 35mm film) Linhof COCO from 1921 and the 35mm Linhof AMATA from 1925. Linhof branded still-picture camera advertisements reappear in the late 1920’s. The same time Perka is supplying cameras to German retail giant Porst who sells them under the Silar house brand with with the high quality and expensive Triple-Convertable Meyer-Plasmat lens. Perka also supplied cameras to the Optical Werk Dr. Staeble. Just like the Porst arrangement Perka is supplying the Staeble Unoplast branded camera for Dr. Staeble to sell their own lenses on it. According to the Linhof 50th anniversary catalog of 1937 the Perka name was retired in 1933, shortly after Nikolaus Karpf began running the company. It is not uncommon to see cameras with both Perka and Linhof names stamped in the leather or engraved in the metal.
    Fun Fact: The original Linhof ''Technika,, prototype was made from a Perka body.

Optisches Werk Dr.Staeble (Perka & later Linhof)
    (1908-1944 Munich, Germany)
    Perka also supplied cameras to the Optical Werk Dr.Staeble in the 1920s. Just like the Porst arrangement Perka is supplying the Staeble Unoplast branded camera for Dr. Staeble to sell their own lenses on it.

Silar (Perka & later Linhof)
    (1924 to 1936)
    Porst House brand camera made by Silar, and later Linhof. German retail giant Porst (German equilivant of Sears in the USA) special ordered them directly from the Perka, and later Linhof factory. This house branding was done to avoid German price controls on brand name cameras. Porst cameras sometimes had special finishes, lenses, and accessories not available on the brand name cameras. Linhof’s used Steinheil, Schneider, and Zeiss while Siliar’s were sold with the high quality and expensive Triple-Convertable Meyer-Plasmat lens. This made the camera capable of covering 3 focal lengths with a single lens. First showing up in the 1924 PORST Photokatalog Silar’s are gone by the late 1930’s.
    Models: in 4,5×6, 6,5×9, 9×12, 10×15, 13×18
    Meyer Plasmat were sold with the Universal Silar camera, and it was sometimes listed as the Meyer Plasmat camera.

PHOTO - SCHAJA (Perka)
    (Adolf Jacobs) in Munich (München, Germany)
    Photographic warehouse, second-hand camera shop, and publisher of photographic periodicals and manuals.(warehouse still exists today -owned by Margarete Grafe).
    Perka Based 9x12 camera with Hugo Meyer Plasmatlinse

Feinak Präzisions-Kamera (Perka)
    (1922-1925) Munchen
    9x12 Early Perka type

Soho Ltd. SOHO (Linhof)
    (London, England 1929-1947)
    Soho Ltd made both professional, large-format cameras and popular cameras.
    Soho Precision 6x9(triple-extension view camera) a re-badged Linhof.

E. Krauss (Linhof)
    (Sold in France & Manufactured in Germany from 1909 to 1936.)
    Actis camera: The 1922 Krauss catalog presents four models : in height, square , stereo in width and stereo square , available for the formats: 6.5 x 9; 8 x 10.5; 9 x 12; 10 x 15; 12 x 16.5 and 13 x 18. This gives a collection of 18 variations .

Korsitzky Brothers (Looks Linhof)
    Vienna, Austria
    6.5x9 folding camera with Tessar 4.5 / 12cm

PRÄCITA (Original)
    Factory of photographic apparatus and lenses Ges.mbH,
    (1923)
    PRÄCITA 9x12cm Tall Hoch Balgenkamera mit W. KENNGOTT Triplet 135mm f/4,5. Original all metal triple extension camera, competitor to Linhof and Perka.

These companies were active following WWII:

MEOPTA Optical Factory (Linhof Technika Inspired Camera)
    (1946-1949)
    State enterprise in Czechoslovakia (division in Brno),
    Manufacturer of optical instruments, enlargers and cameras
    the company OPTIKOTECHNA Gesellschaft m.b. H in Prerau (Prerov, Czechoslovakia). The Optikotechna Optical Works was established in 1933 by eng. Alois Benes and Professor of physics Dr. Alois Mazurek in Prerov to manufacture darkroom equipment (enlargers and lenses), and (later) optical devices for military purposes. It was seized in 1939 by German occupying authorities and forced to work for the German army until the end of the WW II (1945). After liberation the company was nationalized and renamed to MEOPTA (1946).
    (Technika copy) Meopta MAGNOLA 13x18 with Boyer Sapphire Lens

Meridian (Linhof Technika Inspired Camera)
    (1947-1949 New York, USA)
    American designed copy of the Linhof Technika
    Meridian 45A & 45B models

M.P.P. Micro Precision Products Ltd (Linhof Technika Inspired Camera)
    (England 1941to1982)
    British optical company produced cameras and related equipment.
    Micro Technical Camera, in 1948.[6] This camera, for 4×5 in. sheet film, was far in advance of any other camera produced in Britain.[7] Mark II followed in 1949; Mark III in 1951; Mark VI, Mark VII and Mark VIII in 1952, 1956, and 1963. (Mark IV and Mark V were not sold.)
    Last edited by Embdude; 1-Dec-2020 at 12:46.

Hello,

please help me with two serial numbers? Both Linhof 13x18, it would be good if the exact type and year of manufacture could be determined from the numbers.

No. 17963
    No. 21161

Thank you very much.

I have not seen the article myself but this is what it says:
    Modern Photography, Dec. 1965

Linhof Technika II 13,001 to 19,000

Great News! Richard Shimonkevitz has just published a new book - Linhof the Early Cameras - specifically covering the pre-war Linhof cameras. 170 pages jam packed with all the amazing details of these early Linhof cameras. Undertaken as a labor of love it was researched and written to fill the gap in knowledge of the early years- not only has he filled the gap, he has built a 6 lane highway!

Name:	2021 Linhof-The-Early-Cameras-New-Book 01.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	217737

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Great News! Richard Shimonkevitz has just published a new book - Linhof the Early Cameras - specifically covering the pre-war Linhof cameras. 170 pages jam packed with all the amazing details of these early Linhof cameras. Undertaken as a labor of love it was researched and written to fill the gap in knowledge of the early years- not only has he filled the gap, he has built a 6 lane highway!
    Richard Shimonkevitz is an American living in Colorado and the book is written in English. It is approx. the same dimensions as The Linhof Camera Story book and I think the print run was around 50-100 copies. I very highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of Linhof. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 Linhof-The-Early-Cameras-New-Book 02.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	217734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 Linhof-The-Early-Cameras-New-Book 10.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	217735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 Linhof-The-Early-Cameras-New-Book 11.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	217736

It's a great thing to have this history documented. I hope that the author has registered his book with the Library of Congress, and has sent them a copy. If there were only 100 copies printed, that's the only way to achieve archival (ha) permanence.
    I'd also hope that he's donated a copy to the George Eastman Museum; it would be a valuable addition to their library/collection.

Great news indeed; hope the OP whom I know as an avid collector and user of the pre-war Linhofs, knows about this.....

My Flickr