Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof cameras before 1945

Linhof cameras before 1945

Hello,

I am doing the research for the pre-war Linhof cameras. This means Technika I (34?) and II as well as the Linhof Standard (without the Technika back movements)

The Technika was invented and patented by Nikolaus Karpf in 1934.

Unfortunately all the Linhof company documents were lost in WWII, so it is difficult to gain some information.

I would like to invite all pre-1946 Linhof owners, to post here (part of) the serial number and some photos od the camera details.

I will soon get a Technika 9x12 (I oder II, dont know yet, Ser 19xxx) and will then share some pictures here.

Does anyone know how to distinguish Technika I from II, I did not find anything until now.?

Maybe someone has a old linhof in his shelf and can help.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Re: Linhof cameras before 1945

Read the Linhof Camera Story book.

thanks! Wanted to order it from Linhof these days anyway...

nonethelees, if anyone has an "old" linhof with photos, then I would be interested in phots/Infos.

My Linhof Technika (I was said it should be a One/ 1936) is now here.

Everything is working fine, the camera was used by his preowner (a well know german businessman and chemist, who died in 2004 in his 90ies... He used the cameras until the end, a ektachrome 200P was in the rollex Magazine).

So the camera has some wear (brassing) , but everthing is greased well and in good condition.
    Surprisingly, as the offer was 9x12, it is in fact a 10x15 ! Unfortunately all plate holders enclosed were 9x12, and the reduction Adapter was lost in the last 10 years by the family...

But help (from this forum here) is coming, so I will have 10x15 film sheet Adapters soon and can use it with 10x15 film...

Has two lens plates with a 4,5/18cm Tessar (1924) and a Meyer Aristostigmat 6,8/80 (ca 1942). My Symmar-S 210 will be another candidate for this camera, and maybe even the Symmar-S MC 150 (if it covers 10x15)

Linhof Technika I (1936) WW by xipho68, auf Flickr

Linhof Technika I (1936) by xipho68, auf Flickr

Really good build Quality, all Metal and properly desgned for a Long life...

And correction to my previous post.. it is a 16xxx Serial Number

No other prehistoric Linhofs around here?

Think it is a Modell I, but if anyone knows better...

I have posted before about my Pre War Linhof 5X7 with factory International back.

It looks similar to the one posted. Same back extension knob locations. My bellows are original and perfect. All metal body.

It has conversion to modern 4X5 Linhof boards, but no contemporary lens. Very lightweight as compared to the Post War Linfof 5X7.

I collect/use studio Linhof Kardan Color 2x3/5x7/8x10 first iterations. Not the 4X5. I admire Horseman in that range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-5x7 Linhof Kodak 405.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	147167

Hi Randy, thanks! Waht serial Nr does your old Linhof have, and what Logo design?

It is a little bit strange that the lens stand has no possibility to get fixed at a certain distance, there is only one fix at infinity for a normal lens...

I also cannot see that any part is missing? (BW-photo shows the stand)

As the lens stand was creeping when the camera is not completely horizontal, I tried to fix the creeping by removing the grease on the rail... It stops creeping but now "boxing/unboxing" of the lens into the body is a bit rough.
    Any other idea to solve this.?

is the difference between model I and II a different lens stand, maybe with a brake (as the III has)?

btw, the Aristostigmat Wide angle did very well in a test with the Baby Technika, and visal test (and Schneider data with lens radius 194mm) swows, tha the Symmar-S covers am may allow a shift of about 15 mm.
    The Symmar-S 210 certainly covers easily, and is still a normal lens for this format. The 210 will allow full movements (5cm up, 1.5cm left-right, plus back tilt...)
    I just have to make or get a Compur Size 1 lens plate...

I really don't know much about this camera except I really like it. and has really nice bellows. About 22" extension.

Bought it from Barry at New Deardorff off eBay. Weighs 6 lbs 14 oz without lens. Obviously missing a peep sight, but all 3 levels work fine.

The rack lock lever stops any creep and the long bellows are butter soft with little hooks to shorten and hold them up. It can close with a 210mm Calter folded inside. Takes regular 5x7 DDS film holders. Spring back, not International as previously stated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	147316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (3).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	147317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	147318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	147319

nice camera, rather big. Is it a 13x18 model? What focal lenght is printed on the white "focussing plate"?

Which one is the rack lock lever?

Yor back is a big different. Mine has a all metal lock for fixing the backs.

Is still wonder how to distinguish model Type I from II? Hope the Linhof book will help, it is ordered from the factory...

There are two types of lens plate holder locks, one long one as with these two cameras here, and some cameras have two smaller silver locks... Baybe it is different between I and two, or it depends in the camera size?