Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 3D printed monorail 4x5 camera ver 0.9a

My 3D printed monorail 4x5 camera ver 0.9a

Hi,

A while ago I've decided to design and print large format camera.
    The goal is to make 5x7 camera, but I've decided to make 4x5 first as it will allow to print some elements in single piece on my cheap 3D printer.
    Yesterday I was able to assemble and see if it will work at all.
    I still have to make proper bellow as this one is just folded black paper so I have to be careful with moisture but it works.
    I already have nice, thin fabric for the bellow and it's just matter of some spare time to make it.
    Everything seems to work: rack & pinion focuser works, but may need some refinements, springs in spring back are bit too stiff so I have to make them bit more narrow, but film holder locks nice in the place. Spring back can be rotated by 90 deg for landscape without problem.
    3D printed lens board also seems to fit nice.
    Whole camera, without lens and holder weights 940 grams, so it's quite light I guess.
    About 90% of the camera is 3D printed, the only non printed parts are: bolts and nuts for printed knobs, aluminium rail, springs for spring back, bellow and ground glass.
    Material is PLA so it's quite strong but I have to be careful about temperature and remember to not leave the camera in the car when it's really hot outside as it will get soft and could melt
    To be honest it would be easier to make it from the wood but it was fun do design it and modifications will be really easy now.

Re: My 3D printed monrail 4x5 camera ver 0.9a

Well done!

One day I expect VLO (very large objects) to be made this way.

That's a beauty! Nice job on the bellows too.

Congratulations! Really good job with the camera. The bellows folding looks very professional.

Kumar

Very very nice.

I'd love a close-up of the way you've done the spring back rotation.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Well done!

One day I expect VLO (very large objects) to be made this way.
    They are starting to do this, Germany seems to be leading the way with a unit that can do one cubic metre with a bit to spare. This is a unit ready for sale now.

I read somewhere very recently that the Americans were working on building a one cubic metre 3D printer, however I'm not sure whether it is this printer just being retailed in the USA.

Had a recent talk with a couple of people in the industrial 3D game, they believe that the next step will to build a 3D printer that is built inside a 6m shipping container that can be shipped onsite, literally rolled out, Laser levelled, hooked up to either a diesel generator or grid power, then build replacement parts onsite for a repair. We are talking mining industry type of stuff here.

http://bigrep.com/bigrepone/

Mick.

Re: My 3D printed monorail 4x5 camera ver 0.9a

Great job on the camera, very inspiring!

Regarding the paper bellows, I made one from thick black craft paper, then reinforced each fold using black gaffers tape. I applied the tape to all the "mountain" folds, inside and out. Using 1" wide tape, it was able to completely cover the paper, and thus the bellows is pretty much moisture resistant and function as-is, without the need to make a two-layer cloth bellows. The cloth gaffers tape reinforces the paper folds and provides strength and light-tightness at the folds.

~Joe
    The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

Joe, can you post a photo of your bellows outer and inner view? I would think the greatest danger of pinholes is at the corners. How do you reinforce those places?

Kumar

Hi,

I'm out for a week so I can post any photos, but the paper bellow is just for test so I didn't reinforced the corners.
    I'm going to make proper fabric bellow when I'll be back.

If you don't mind, I'm curious to know where and for how much you got the 3-d print done. I'm getting quotes on the order of £50 (UKP) for a single piece of the back standard...

Neil