Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film and Airport Security

Film and Airport Security

I'll be doing some international travel this spring. What is the best way to transport 4x5 Ilford HP5? Checked baggage? Carry on? UPS to first destination? Is there a different concern after post exposure? Will the current security screening damage the film?
    Thread killer.

Re: Film and Airport Security

Carry on all the time, unless you want to ship it. Checked baggage gets much higher dose of x-rays.

link to dozens of threads on the subject:
    https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I'll be doing some international travel this spring. What is the best way to transport 4x5 Ilford HP5? Checked baggage? Carry on? UPS to first destination? Is there a different concern after post exposure? Will the current security screening damage the film?
    First, never put film in your checked luggage. The scanners used for checked bags are much stronger and are guaranteed to damage film. Film, either unexposed or exposed and undeveloped needs to go with you in your carry-on bag.

I travel a lot between the U.S.A and Europe. I carry unexposed 4x5 film to Europe a lot (it's just a lot cheaper in the States) and lately, since my darkroom in the States is under construction, I've been bringing all the negatives I shot there back to Europe with me to develop. So, from my experience a couple of observations:

First, you can put ISO 400 film through the hand-luggage scanners many times without ill effects. I've had film I brought to Europe (scanned twice) go with me to Italy (two more scans) and then the film I didn't expose there go on yet another trip or two; in short, 6 - 8 times through the scanner without a problem. A lot of that film was exposed and got developed after I got home; I've never seen any damage to exposed but undeveloped film either.

However, I ask for a hand inspection in the States whenever I can. I have unexposed sheet film in factory-sealed boxes, but transport exposed film in opened but retaped factory boxes clearly marked, "Undeveloped Film: Open only in total darkness." The TSA guys are for the most part familiar with the process and will simply swipe the outside of the box with a patch and put it in their detector. Don't put your film boxes in sealed or taped plastic bags, they'll have to open them to do the swab test; I carry mine in regular ZipLocs that can easily be opened. It's not a bad idea to be observant and make sure a greenhorn doesn't try to open a box instead of just doing the swab test; tape your boxes well. If there's any problem with a hand inspection (even if it's someone not knowing what he/she's doing) then just let them put the film through the scanner. I only get a hand inspection to reduce the total number of scans I know my film is going to get just in case.

Don't bother with asking for hand inspections outside of the States. Do, however, remove the film from your carry on and send it through the scanner separately. This is to keep the scanner operator from giving your film repeat scans because they don't recognize what it is in your bag. If it goes in by itself, there shouldn't be a problem.

Do all that and you should be just fine.

Happy travels,

Doremus

Thank you D.S.!

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    First, never put film in your checked luggage. The scanners used for checked bags are much stronger and are guaranteed to damage film. Film, either unexposed or exposed and undeveloped needs to go with you in your carry-on bag.

I travel a lot between the U.S.A and Europe. I carry unexposed 4x5 film to Europe a lot (it's just a lot cheaper in the States) and lately, since my darkroom in the States is under construction, I've been bringing all the negatives I shot there back to Europe with me to develop. So, from my experience a couple of observations:

First, you can put ISO 400 film through the hand-luggage scanners many times without ill effects. I've had film I brought to Europe (scanned twice) go with me to Italy (two more scans) and then the film I didn't expose there go on yet another trip or two; in short, 6 - 8 times through the scanner without a problem. A lot of that film was exposed and got developed after I got home; I've never seen any damage to exposed but undeveloped film either.

However, I ask for a hand inspection in the States whenever I can. I have unexposed sheet film in factory-sealed boxes, but transport exposed film in opened but retaped factory boxes clearly marked, "Undeveloped Film: Open only in total darkness." The TSA guys are for the most part familiar with the process and will simply swipe the outside of the box with a patch and put it in their detector. Don't put your film boxes in sealed or taped plastic bags, they'll have to open them to do the swab test; I carry mine in regular ZipLocs that can easily be opened. It's not a bad idea to be observant and make sure a greenhorn doesn't try to open a box instead of just doing the swab test; tape your boxes well. If there's any problem with a hand inspection (even if it's someone not knowing what he/she's doing) then just let them put the film through the scanner. I only get a hand inspection to reduce the total number of scans I know my film is going to get just in case.

Don't bother with asking for hand inspections outside of the States. Do, however, remove the film from your carry on and send it through the scanner separately. This is to keep the scanner operator from giving your film repeat scans because they don't recognize what it is in your bag. If it goes in by itself, there shouldn't be a problem.

Do all that and you should be just fine.

Happy travels,

Doremus
    Thread killer.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Carry on only. Put it in checked baggage if you want it ruined.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

hacker extraordinaire

I have had film, typically 400 speed, scanned through carry-on many times without damage. I still ask for a hand check sometimes but sometimes I just can't be bothered since I don't think there is any risk.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Good advice. Thanks all.
    Thread killer.

Drew Wiley

Depends on the airport and specific personnel on duty at the time. Hand-check might go smoothly or it might not. I'd rather just leave the film in the carry-on and
    have it X-rayed along with the gear.

I travelled to China twice last year, from Canada, via Los Angles, and each trip, with planes changes and all, I had to go through 7 scans on each trip. Contrary to Doremus's affirmation, "Don't bother with asking for hand inspections outside of the States." , I never had a problem, in Canada or in China, asking for a hand inspection. I always carry my 35mm and 120 film in transparent ziplock baggies which the attendant inspects and returns to me on the other side of the scanner. The only place where I was repeatedly refused a hand inspection, going and coming, was in L.A. The problem with X-rays is the cumulative effect on the film. With 7 scans on a round trip, I'd take my chances with a hand inspection.