Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Southern New Hampshire

Re: Hello from Southern New Hampshire

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll do some reading on the Chamonix and some compares. Sounding like another promising body. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Used to spend some summers at Mt Monadnock in Dublin with the Sagendorfs from The Old Farmer's Almanac. Fun days back then up there.
    Small world! I am about to do freelance work for Yankee Magazine in Dublin. And Mt Monadnock is a wonderful climb. Good to meet you here!

David Schaller

Welcome! I grew up in the White Mountains, and spend a lot of time there, hiking and photographing. I use a wooden field camera for shorter, flatter hikes, but medium format now if I plan to summit a 4000 footer. I would recommend the Shen Hao for new, a Tachihara, Wista or similar for used. Having said that, I use a Wisner. There is a Zone VI on eBay right now, with a lens, that would be the same. The Wisner/Zone VI is heavier, but the rigidity and better bellows are worth it, so I sold my Tachihara. For general landscape use, the Wisner/Zone VI is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Welcome! I grew up in the White Mountains, and spend a lot of time there, hiking and photographing. I use a wooden field camera for shorter, flatter hikes, but medium format now if I plan to summit a 4000 footer. I would recommend the Shen Hao for new, a Tachihara, Wista or similar for used. Having said that, I use a Wisner. There is a Zone VI on eBay right now, with a lens, that would be the same. The Wisner/Zone VI is heavier, but the rigidity and better bellows are worth it, so I sold my Tachihara. For general landscape use, the Wisner/Zone VI is all you need.
    Thank you so much David. I'll have a look at that - sounds like a good setup. And I think I'll be the same for 4000+ climbs (bring the Plaubel-Makina). Do you see an advantage to new Shen Hao over any of the used ones you mentioned (or vice-versa?)

David Schaller

I have not had in-hand experience with the Shen Hao, but it has been recommended by many photographers whom I respect, on this forum and elsewhere. While it is nice to have a brand new piece of gear, you will certainly make your money go farther by buying used equipment. Once you have been on this site for a month you will have access to the buy and sell forum, where you will find some trusted sellers and very good deals. Saving a few hundred dollars on the camera buys you another lens.

Excellent, thank you. And looking forward to getting access to the buy/sell forum in a month.

Welcome. I'm in Amherst. I have a few 4x5 cameras and they all have their strengths. My main 4x5 is currently a Chamonix 45N. You are welcome to stop by and check it out if you wish.

I appreciate that Larry, thank you. I just may take you up on that!

Quote Originally Posted by raylarose View Post
    I appreciate that Larry, thank you. I just may take you up on that!
    Definitely take Larry up on his generous offer. Playing around with a few different cameras will help you plus you will make a new friend!

Before deciding on a camera you need to have an idea of which lenses you may want to use. Some field cameras work better with wide lenses than others. Some support bag bellows and some do not. If you like ultra wide lenses then you will want a bag bellows too. If you want to close focus longer lenses for head or head and shoulder portraiture you need to make sure you have enough bellows to do that. Some field cameras have more bellows extension than others. Of course you can always add a cheap monorail if you do a lot of portraits with long lenses.

As one to always jump into gear with both feet (and after playing around with several cameras) I have decided to make the move. To raise the funds, just sold one of me Leica's and it covered all this:

• Chamonix 45n-2 (teak / gray metal)
    • Schneider Symmar-S 5.6/150 (Copal 0 shutter)
    • Fujinon SW 8/90 (Copal 0 shutter)
    • Zone VI lightweight wooden tripod w/ Bogen head
    • 4 film holders
    • Pentax spotmeter V
    • Box of Ilford Delta 100