Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 14 x 17 Camera Build

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Another 14 x 17 Camera Build

As some of you may know we are moving in a couple of weeks to Vancouver Washington. In November of 2015 my good friend Matt Stage asked me if I could build him a 14 x 17 camera. A daunting task in itself but especially so with our move determined and our house being built. At first I was reluctant but Matt said he would help and I gave in. Well it took us about 3 months and the end result came out nice. As with any build you always learn something and think of doing something better with the next one...... not now...... we have to move!

So I'll try to post the images in order so you can get an idea.

We opted for the Phillips build style and Matt wanted to use the 80/20 but black anodized. I had plenty of walnut and some Peruvian Walnut as well. The focus screw I got from Chamonix through my good friend Hugo and the rest of the parts were made by me in the shop with the exception of the knobs. I do not have a lathe yet.

Since I had completed my 14 x 17 - 20 x 24 camera not long ago it did not take me long to get up to speed. This was my 6th build and 3rd 14 x 17 camera.
    So the first images show almost all of the parts for the camera. The front lens board frame and reducer was done. The lens boards are 9 x 9 and reduced to 6 x 6. The hinges are from Rockler and are chest hinges. The stainless that is marked were pieces I bent to form the brackets to hold the back on the camera. The last picture gives you an idea of the shape. I decided to eliminate the back extension as I feel it is more stable without it.

Please enjoy the images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0161.jpg   DSC_0163.jpg   DSC_0164.jpg   DSC_0166.jpg  

Re: Another 14 x 17 Camera Build

Here are some more images from the build. Matt is helping me with some of the test fitting of the frame. The last image is a shot of the underside of the frame with the extension rail attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0167.jpg   DSC_0169.jpg   DSC_0171.jpg   image7 (1).JPG  

Hell yeah, Jim. Pretty slick looking space age meets old wooden camera design.
    Keep the pics coming.

Vinny, thanks brother. Yep I got roped into another build while trying to move non the less. It was all good. The finished camera looks very good if I do say so myself. I through out the name "Black Mamba" and Matt liked it so I guess it is now the Black Mamba!

I did take a look at your build for some refresher info on placement of things, so thanks for the good pic's on your site. Great images as well.

Some more pic's. These show some of the layout of the bed and the attachment points. This is not to hard to put together really.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1.JPG   image2.JPG   image3.JPG   image4.JPG  

Hello Jim,

I've marveled at the design, workmanship, etc, of your camera builds over the years. I would love to build an 11x14 of the Phillips design. If I may be so bold to ask, have you ever thought about selling plans, parts list, etc, that could be scaled up/down for whatever size camera?

Dave Karp

This is just awesome. Beautiful.

Hi Jim,

Black Mamba is very cool and pretty! Congratulations!

Hugo

Very nice, Jim. I'm beginning to wish I'd chosen walnut instead of the sapele now... oh well, next one!

Neil

Alan, thanks. I've never had any real plans. I've studied camera designs over the years and have built several different types. The Chamonix site has good images of the cameras. I build from an example and I'm no good with plans. I need to see the camera. Show me plans and I'm lost. So Over the years I've taken pictures from the web and have used them as my guides. I also have two wonderful friend s, Hugo and Tri Tran who have cameras I can look at and take measurements.

My advice is if you wish to build a Phillips style 11 x 14 I can give you some advice on sizing, parts etc. send me a pm but remember that we are packing to move and time is tight.

David, thank you.

Hugo, that name came to me out of nowhere and it stuck. Pretty cool.

Some more images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image2 (1).jpg   image8.JPG   image13.JPG   image12.JPG  

Great pics and they are a big help.

I have been compiling the same bits.

How long a bellows will be installed?

Not how much extension the camera has now, as that may change,