Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Attempt: Speed Graphic Still Life close-up

First Attempt: Speed Graphic Still Life close-up

I'm finding I don't really use my Fujinon 90/f8 all that much. It doesn't really fit with my style of shooting. Here was my first attempt at close-up still life with it on a Speed Graphic I restored.

I find the 90mm a little too wide for close ups. This is even cropped down a little. I felt like I needed to add some lens correction in Photoshop because I was so close (about 6-8"). It's also hard to focus in the situations I often put myself. I'm going to be getting rid of it, I think, and find something longer and faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arab Teapot 1100px.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	146181

Ilford FP4+
    4s @ f22
    Developed in HC-110 for 7.5 mins.
    Tweaked at scan time on Epson 4990 (SilverFast), then in Photoshop.

Re: First Attempt: Speed Graphic Still Life close-up

Well done, (except for those black spots in the upper corner). The perspective divergence of the cups actually add a natural realism that a long lens would have destroyed. Bokah is perfect (what aperture did you use?).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

hacker extraordinaire

It looks really but you need to crop it centered and crop out the black dots.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

If your Speed came with a 127 Rktar like many of them did, it makes a fantastic macro lens. A 127 is slightly wide on 4x5 (much like a 35 wide on 35mm) and can only move 1/4-3/8" each way but is very well corrected for close images.

FWIW those "dots" are rungs of the chair backs around the dining room table. I'll see if I can't clone them out and tweak the crop a little.

I have another composition that's closer but I haven't had a chance to scan it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    If your Speed came with a 127 Rktar like many of them did, it makes a fantastic macro lens. A 127 is slightly wide on 4x5 (much like a 35 wide on 35mm) and can only move 1/4-3/8" each way but is very well corrected for close images.
    I got this camera without any lens, though I do have a 127 Ektar that needs a shutter overhaul. I think it might be cheaper just to buy another one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbrisbincreative View Post
    I got this camera without any lens, though I do have a 127 Ektar that needs a shutter overhaul. I think it might be cheaper just to buy another one, though.
    Or use the focal plane shutter.

Overall, a very nice image. I agree with Bill_1856, the divergence of the cups adds a element of realism.

Keep your 90mm; you'll end up loving it for other things

FWIW, my favorite focal length for tabletop work is 135mm. Most plasmats will give excellent results at that distance and they're great for general photography as well.

Doremus

This particular camera doesn't have the FP shutter in it. It was removed before I bought it, which was one of the selling points of the camera for me. I wouldn't use it anyway. LF is not the only format I shoot so I have no need for a 4x5 FP camera.

The 127 I have that needs a shutter overhaul has a mangled shutter that's closed up so it's no good until I get it overhauled.

This is the other composition I did. I got it in a little bit closer so now I'm about 4" from the subject. I definitely don't like the 90 for this sort of stuff. I also found it really hard to focus well with the Speed Graphic's pop-up hood. I need something faster than f8.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arab Teapot (2) 1100px.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	146238

Ilford FP4+
    4s @ f32
    Developed in HC-110 for ~7.5 mins.
    Tweaked at scan time on Epson 4990 (SilverFast), then in Photoshop.