I've been discussing soft proofing with a friend regarding soft proofing and QTR. I have to recognize that, with my current hardware and software, no soft proofing will be accurate. However, limited as it may be, an attempt at soft proofing may at least reduce or eliminate the need reprint and waste paper and ink.
Here's my current software/hardware:
Lightroom
PSE
QTR
QImage
Paintshop (older version)

R3000, Cone K3V inkset
Sypder 4 (monitor calibration)

To upgrade so that I can soft proof accurately, I'd have to purchase a measuring device (colormunki photo at least), and probably invest in PS CC. That would add a considerable expense as a hobbyist. I'll probably go that route eventually, but not for another year yet.

I tried the following:
1) Convert to TIF, greyscale, edit in PSE; import to LR, soft proof using the QTR RGB icc, make final adjustments (often have to deepen the shadows/blacks) print to TIF file embedding the RGB icc; print icc embedded TIF from QTR.
Results: prints are close, might lose some deep shadow detail.

2) Convert to TIF, greyscale, edit in PSE; print TIF from QTR, taking my chances.
Results: often prints lighter than expected.

3) Convert to TIF, greyscale, edit in PSE; import to LR, soft proof using the QTR RGB icc, often have to darken shadows/blacks); resave TIFF without embedding icc; print TIF from QTR.
Results: prints are close.

Do I have any better options with my workflow? Are there any plugins that I should consider that would help, such as elements+?

Larry