Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angle of view confusion

Angle of view confusion

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to large format and have a question around the angle of view of lenses. In the full frame 35mm world that I've been a part of for a long time, the angle of view for a lens is more or less correlated to the focal length with a 16mm lens being around 100 degrees or so (diagonally).

I just picked up a Nikon Nikkor SW 90mm F/4.5. I've not shot alot with it yet but I'm starting to prep for a big landscape photography trip in May.

I thought the 90mm would be similar to using a 30mm on Sony A7* cameras.

I was researching the new-to-me 90mm more and came across a site that indicated the lens has a 105mm diagonal angle of view. Does that mean I should see a scene that looks similar to my Sony with a 16mm lens on it?

Seems I'm not really getting something here... If anyone knows what's really going on here, I'd love some insights.
    Thanks, Don

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Angle of view confusion

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

It's hard to compare a lens on the A7 to a lens on a 4x5 because of the format difference. The A7 is more of a rectangle where 4x5 although also a rectangle is more square. To me a 90mm lens on a 4x5 would compare in look to a 25mm lens on your A7. Of course others disagree. I had a 25mm lens on my old Contax 35mm camera so I purchased a 75mm lens thinking that it would be similar. I found it too wide so I sold it and bought a 90mm which looked right to me.

You really have to try it out for yourself and see what you think. Welcome to the forum.

Draw it on graph paper and it makes better sense to visual thinkers.

This is a text forum.

4x5 and 8x10 feel wider to me because of the aspect ratio compared to my favorite 6x12cm and 6x9cm. You might find the same.

Vinny, shame on you for posting a link to another site.

Coupla days ago I sent the mods a polite complaint about one of themselves and ended up having an amicable discussion with Ralph Barker, who thought my complaint had to do with links to other sites, not a mod's invocation of a non-existent rule. In the course of the e-mail exchange Ralph told me that the mods were discussing whether to ban links to other sites -- like you, I post links to other sites -- and warned me that I probably wouldn't like their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Vinny, shame on you for posting a link to another site.

Coupla days ago I sent the mods a polite complaint about one of themselves and ended up having an amicable discussion with Ralph Barker, who thought my complaint had to do with links to other sites, not a mod's invocation of a non-existent rule. In the course of the e-mail exchange Ralph told me that the mods were discussing whether to ban links to other sites -- like you, I post links to other sites -- and warned me that I probably wouldn't like their decision.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA!
    Large Format Moderators Forum
    Yeah, I think more rules and more moderators are just what is needed to whip this place into shape.

Thanks vinny!

Great...

Stop all links.

Let's go back to Morse code and Pony Express which are compatible with LF style.

I do see Oren's point though, all links die, just like all the image links die. Not allowing links to eBay and perhaps all sales sites can stop the self-serving seller, but also the soon junk dead link. I get it.

It is very frustrating doing research on this site with all the dead links.

Are we building a Data Base or a Tower of Babel?

Very curt sarcastic replies are also tough to interpret after their purpose has gone...

My latest pet peave is very wordy and inscrutable descriptions. We all could be better serving history with drawings, and images that are permanently attached here in the 750 Pixel LFPF manner.

Perhaps, I will try to take my own advice.