Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durst Mavet 138

Drew Wiley

Re: Durst Mavet 138

Frankly, I'd rather not use the official aluminum masks. What I do is use void polyester-base Cibachrome paper leftover from yesteryear. It cuts very cleanly, first
    for size on the Rotatrim, then using a razor blade and straightedge for the sizing mask. I punch it to fit the registration pegs in the carrier.

Similar to what I do. I got a few sheets of opaque polyethelene sheets and cut down. I am out of the stock and the old masks are getting shopworn. Gotta find something else!

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

The LAGRA*** name sounded familiar, I ran into another item with a similar name here the LAGRADAP http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1128752

So I'm thinking your Lagraneg holder might be slightly different from the Laraneg. I'm also basing this on my two negative carriers for L1840. I have both the Laraneg and the Negateil. Both have similar looking sandwich style inserts, however, they are not interchangeable.

A Durst Wiki would really be beneficial all those obscure names for all those parts, what fits in what and so on..

Best,

Cor

Drew Wiley

Yes, a Durst to Mortal Earthlings dictionary would be helpful. It's the same with Sinar gear if you don't have an old copy of what they called the "Sinar Code", an
    appropriate description for sure. Some of these holders underwent an evolution over the years, as did the enlarger chassis options themselves. Some of the earliest 138 holders I ignore and have stuffed in a box somewhere. The the Nega 138 book-style holders reigned during the entire Mesozoic era, along with their
    better (in my opinion) pin registered carriers. Later "new and improved", just as in many machinery issues turned out to have some amenities, but really meant
    a less complicated way to manufacture something, and not necessarily better at all. The 8X10 L184 had a parallel evolution. Their really expensive horizontal-only enlargers differed in quite a few ways altogether. Then you've got an evolution of colorheads up to six generations, and some of those did deserve to be wiped out by an asteroid. Or at least the melted themselves down first! I had one where the cooling fan alone drew more wattage than a big industrial table saw. I would punch a 30x40 Cibachrome with an added mask density of .90 in about fifteen seconds. In other words, it was about twenty stops faster than your
    typical 4x5 colorhead. It also fried its own filters on a regular basis, at considerable expense. I said to hell with it and designed my own colorhead which runs
    cool. But with Cibachrome gone, there's no need for a Tyrannosaur roaming around anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Geary Lyons View Post
    Thanks! (I think ;-) ) So the 138 goes into the 205, which then goes into the Laraneg, AFTER I remove the glass?

Cheers,
    Geary
    I have both the Mavet 138 and Mavet 205.
    Mavet 138 outer diameter is 10x10 inch. It fits into the opening of Nega 205.
    Mavet 205 outer diameter is 270mm x 270mm and fits into my Devere 108 negative carrier (which also has an opening of 270mm x 270mm).
    Hope this give you an idea.

Cheers

Boon