Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst Mavet 138

Durst Mavet 138

Need some help. I bought this, Durst Mavet 138, because the seller represented it as a 5x7 mask that would fit the Laraneg in my 184. Got it, tried it....no joy!! So what does this fit?

Cheers,
    Geary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mavet138.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	146051
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

Re: Durst Mavet 138

Mine indicates "Mavet 205" I think that is what you want also. I don't ever use mine, I put smaller negatives in the 10x10 glass and use a cardboard light mask around the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Mine indicates "Mavet 205" I think that is what you want also. I don't ever use mine, I put smaller negatives in the 10x10 glass and use a cardboard light mask around the perimeter.
    Thanks! (I think ;-) ) So the 138 goes into the 205, which then goes into the Laraneg, AFTER I remove the glass?

Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Geary Lyons View Post
    Thanks! (I think ;-) ) So the 138 goes into the 205, which then goes into the Laraneg, AFTER I remove the glass?

Cheers,
    Geary
    Actually the 205 is 10x10" so it fits in the 10x10 Laraneg after removing the glass from the Laraneg. The 205 has a 5x7" opening to accept 5x7" glass. I think the one you have is 7x7" in overall dimension and has a 4x5" opening, correct? That would fit inside a negative carrier from a Durst 138 I believe.

Drew Wiley

Gosh. Somebody just gave me a 10x10 Durst carrier about an hour ago in beautiful condition. It's a clamshell style different from my registered GRAHAL/GRANE ones, but uses the same glass dimension.

Actually the 205 is 10x10" so it fits in the 10x10 Laraneg after removing the glass from the Laraneg. The 205 has a 5x7" opening to accept 5x7" glass. I think the one you have is 7x7" in overall dimension and has a 4x5" opening, correct? That would fit inside a negative carrier from a Durst 138 I believe.
    The outside dimension is 10x10". The opening is 5x7". That why I didn't question the representation that it would fit the Laraneg.

Cheers,
    Geary

You are sure you have a Laraneg (sorry for the dumb question). As you know the Laraneg came with the L1840 (not to say yours may have been upgraded).
    If your 184 has been upgraded to the Laraneg, how is it not fitting. Just off by a few millimeters?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Gosh. Somebody just gave me a 10x10 Durst carrier about an hour ago in beautiful condition. It's a clamshell style different from my registered GRAHAL/GRANE ones, but uses the same glass dimension.
    "Nega 205" ?

Drew Wiley

Yeah, thanks for the tip. It is a 205. I looked it up. All the felt seals are still in great shape. They'll bring by the glass next time, though I have a number of sheets already. My Grahal/Grane units are all refurbished nicely, with one of them converted to my existing 8x10 Condit punch system. Now I need to adapt my similar carrier for the 138 and my 4x5/5x7 punches. I'm all ready to button up my L184 once the new bellows arrive. It's all spit-shined like new, and even the baseboard
    is relaminated. It's just right for me - not too complicated to refurbish, and should come in handy as a backup color enlarger while I do some more tweaks to the additive colorhead on my true monster enlarger. Probably no time for color printing even this year. Have other enlargers for b&w projects.

You are sure you have a Laraneg (sorry for the dumb question). As you know the Laraneg came with the L1840 (not to say yours may have been upgraded).
    If your 184 has been upgraded to the Laraneg, how is it not fitting. Just off by a few millimeters?
    I got lucky! My 184 has the motors for head, board and focus. I got a great buy because the motors were not working. I simply rewired form the control box to the motors and all three motors work like a charm. So, yes, likely the Lagraneg was an upgrade! The Mavet just misses the Lagraneg cutout by a few MM's. So it needs something else, if it is to ever fit all all!.

I have been shooting more 5x7 than 8x10. I currently have a simple black mask that I use, thought the Mavet 138 would work.

(Missed that "G"!!!)

Cheers,
    Geary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laraneg.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	146118
    Last edited by Geary Lyons; 5-Feb-2016 at 17:05. Reason: Damn Durst naming protocol!!