Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kallitype issue

Kallitype issue

Been having this recurring issue with some of my Kallitype prints where the mid tones get these light or white spots after drying down. I've noticed on some of them there appears to be a small speck of something in the center. Most all of my chemicals are mixed fresh, and they don't show up during the developing, clearing or fixing stage, only after dry down. They also seem to get a bit worse after a couple of days just sitting around. I recently mixed up some fresh Ferric Oxylate to see if the batch I was using had any issues, but all the prints look great even with old FO, and still not till after dry down. Anyone had similar issues or can shine some light on this would be greatly appreciated. I would post samples but my scanner has been loaned out, and besides, would be hard to see from a scan. They are quite noticeable though.

Re: Kallitype issue

Which paper and developer?
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

I would like to see the original tobe sure,but I strongly suspect a fault in the paper or sizing.

That's weird... which paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I strongly suspect a fault in the paper or sizing.
    I concur. Even with other alt. processes and some papers, I occasionally get these mystery spots. They usually already show up during coating, though, at least with new cyanotype.

The paper is Arches Platine and the developer is Bostick and Sullivan's dark developer. I also use fumed silica on the paper before coating. Hope this helps shed some light on the problem. Thanks everyone who responded. I think I'll leave off the fumed silica on the next batch and see if that makes a difference.

As they say at Bostick and Sullivan, "Paper is a moving target". I've been using Arches Platine for some time now with Kallitypes and had NO problem until the recent batch. It's like a different paper. I can take a piece of the old and a piece of the new, and work them side by side and the older batch works great, and the new batch has spots.

These spots appear to various degrees, and slight changes in the technique can affect it greatly (no so much with the older batch), from horrible spottiness to none. If I make sure the paper is humid enough, dab a brush in the solution instead of first pouring on the paper, along with a few other mods, I can get decent results. But it is a pain. Sometimes the spots show immediately. Sometimes not until fixed or even until it dries. Sometimes the spots fade in the drying process, where a print I thought was ruined looks fine when dry.

It's maddening!

Also, I've used both fumed silica and fumed alumina. The alumina seems to work better with Kallitypes, and it also darkens the blacks a tiny bit. I mostly use a "combo" developer out of the book of alternative processes: 1/2 ammonium citrate and 1/2 sodium acetate. Have used all of B&S developers, as well as all the developer recipes in the book and this one is the most consistent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    The paper is Arches Platine and the developer is Bostick and Sullivan's dark developer. I also use fumed silica on the paper before coating. Hope this helps shed some light on the problem. Thanks everyone who responded. I think I'll leave off the fumed silica on the next batch and see if that makes a difference.
    David Aimone Photography

Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    THat would be my first choice.

Arches Platine is an awesome paper and really shouldn't give you any problems. That's terrible to hear about newer batches. I bought a wack of it last July, and it's just fine. It doesn't need fumed silica or acidifying, either. Just a great paper. If you still are having the same problems without silica, try giving acidifying a whirl. I use Sulfamic Acid. You can buy it at your local hardware store as a tile cleaner. Do you have another paper you could try?

One of the nice things about using fumed alumina instead of fumed silica is that it acidifies the process:

http://markhilliardatelier-blog.com/...an-dyke-brown/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Arches Platine is an awesome paper and really shouldn't give you any problems. That's terrible to hear about newer batches. I bought a wack of it last July, and it's just fine. It doesn't need fumed silica or acidifying, either. Just a great paper. If you still are having the same problems without silica, try giving acidifying a whirl. I use Sulfamic Acid. You can buy it at your local hardware store as a tile cleaner. Do you have another paper you could try?
    David Aimone Photography