Thread: "Foundation" At the Craft Studio (University of Missouri, Columbia)

"Foundation" At the Craft Studio (University of Missouri, Columbia)

Hey all,

My first ever photography solo show is up at the Craft Studio on the University of Missouri campus. Everything there was shot on large and medium format film and then inkjet printed. The prints are all 24x20 or 20x20, which was an interesting challenge to get everything consistent and not damage the prints in transport (I need to go in and reprint one of them already).

The series deals with the new residential developments that are spiraling out from the center of the city of Columbia, MO--digging more and more into the former fields and forests leaving behind a manicured landscape. My series differers from the new topographic photography in that I used color film and mostly photographed around sunset and dusk. One of the challenges with the series is that I grew up in the suburbs instead of reacting to them--one of the things I haven't figured out how to reconcile yet.

Hope a few of you stop by! Let me know what you think as well.

The reception is this Thursday from 4-6.

Alex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hepscott.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	145925

Re: "Foundation" At the Craft Studio (University of Missouri, Columbia)

Wow, that would be fun to attend but not able to since I'm in Idaho. I spent a little bit of time around Missou, my dad actually graduated from their first forestry degree program back in the 40's IIRC. I spent more time in the middle of Missouri (graduated from Missouri School of Mines, or UMo-Rolla or now Missouri School of Science and Technology I think, LOL) and the rural parts of Missouri were/are incredible. As with a lot of things like this, development is becoming almost overwhelming. Good luck with the show. Paul
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Great Alex, I will try to attend.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    I spent more time in the middle of Missouri (graduated from Missouri School of Mines, or UMo-Rolla or now Missouri School of Science and Technology I think, LOL) and the rural parts of Missouri were/are incredible. As with a lot of things like this, development is becoming almost overwhelming. Good luck with the show. Paul
    Yeah, it's Missouri S&T now. Rolla is still tiny, though the school is quite good. There are some very pretty areas around, which is one of the reasons the developments are so jarring. This one didn't make the show, but is a pretty good example of what I mean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21285891726_76618949ee_o.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	146049
    Thanks! It's going to be interesting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Great Alex, I will try to attend.
    Hope to see you there!