Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Industar-37

Re: Industar-37

As a photographer who has lived his whole life in the USSR and Russia, I confirm everything said by my respected RK about the history of Industar-37 lenses. They were really created for everyday use when shooting in numerous photo shops and were little used in amateur photography, since in the Soviet Union a very small number of photographers were fond of shooting large format cameras. It is necessary to add that Industar-37 is an improved version of the older Industar-13 lens. But in addition to the different Industar models that copied the Tessar optical scheme, lenses called LOMO RF with focal lengths of 150, 240, 300,360, 450, 600 and 720mm, which were intended for reproduction works on large format cameras (from 13x18cm to 30x40cm). All these lenses were produced without shutters, many of them had, along with the usual ones, additional insertion diaphragms for lowering light scattering, a “double Gauss” optical scheme, low aperture ratio (usually from 8 to 10) and chemical enlightenment. On their rims there is no APO designation, but in fact they are designed specifically as APO lenses. With a 1: 1 image scale, they give a very sharp image even when the aperture is fully open, and when shooting landscapes, they are quite suitable, especially with apertures from 22 onwards. It is noteworthy that the “double Gauss” scheme allows shooting using only one half (front or rear) of the lens, while the focal length is almost doubled while the aperture is reduced by four times. And for aerial photography, other lenses and cameras are used ...
    Experience allows us to make mistakes much more confidently ...

Thanks for the knowledge on these lenses. I see them on eBay all the time, though rarely at 450 and never longer but heck, this is good to know.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I am always happy to help my colleague ... In fact, LOMO RF lenses are often sold at the Russian AVITO online auction. 600 and 720mm lenses are also called O-2

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge on these lenses. I see them on eBay all the time, though rarely at 450 and never longer but heck, this is good to know.
    You can find information about these and other east bloc LF lenses at https://www.arnecroell.com/eastern-block-new.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You can find information about these and other east bloc LF lenses at https://www.arnecroell.com/eastern-block-new.pdf
    Thanks.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

All Industar-37 were in use on soviet large format cameras FKD. They are tailboard style. There is no need to remove lens in folded position, so thats explains abbrasions and beaten look of lens barrel. And all mounting rings remains on cameras, because lensboards are non removable on some modifications of FKD.

To goamules - soviet society was closed in wicked way. To my knowledge Kodak E3 transparencies and chemistry was available in soviet black market from around 1975.
    Price per one 9x12 sheet was 1 rubel, when average monthly income per person was around 120 rubels.

Hi. I just ordered one of these, I intend to use it on my Graflex Speed Graphic. I found at least one description of this lens being used on a Speed Graphic so I assume it's possible, though I know the lens is a big and heavy monster. I measured the lens board and the 80mm mounting hole should fit, though there's not much room to spare.

The person who had mounted one on his Graflex wrote that the minimum focus distance he was able to get was about 15 feet or 5 metres. I would of course like to be able to focus closer so I'm planning to make an extended lens board with a tubular extension. I have a lathe, a milling machine and a 3D-printer so the plan is first to make a 3D-printed prototype to test the consept and if that works machine the final board, maybe the board itself from aluminium and the extension tube from delrin for easier machining and to save a little weigh.

Could anybody give me an approximate distance from film plane to the mounting flange for, say, 1 meter focusing distance so I know how much I need to extend the lens from the regular lens board mounting location (the absolute maximum bellows extension is about 300 mm from film plane to lens board)? Is there a formula to calculate the required distance from the lens to the film plane for a known focal length and focusing distance? Also, where is the 300mm focal length of the lens measured from, the front lens, the rear lens, mounting flange or somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Murgo View Post
    Could anybody give me an approximate distance from film plane to the mounting flange for, say, 1 meter focusing distance so I know how much I need to extend the lens from the regular lens board mounting location (the absolute maximum bellows extension is about 300 mm from film plane to lens board)? Is there a formula to calculate the required distance from the lens to the film plane for a known focal length and focusing distance? Also, where is the 300mm focal length of the lens measured from, the front lens, the rear lens, mounting flange or somewhere else?
    The minimum film plane-to-subject distance is 4 focal lengths, 1.2 m for a 300 mm lens. If you mean distance from the front node (approximately at the diaphragm) to the subject, you'll need 2.33 focal lengths (700 mm) extension. Difficult, probably impossible, with a 4x5 Speed Graphic.

Also, where is the 300mm focal length of the lens measured from, the front lens, the rear lens, mounting flange or somewhere else?
    The distance is measured from the rear nodal point. Invisible, but close to the diaphragm.

Hi. I just ordered one of these, I intend to use it on my Graflex Speed Graphic. I found at least one description of this lens being used on a Speed Graphic so I assume it's possible, though I know the lens is a big and heavy monster. I measured the lens board and the 80mm mounting hole should fit, though there's not much room to spare.
    I have the Industar-37 and its an excellent lens for 8x10, but I cannot imagine fitting that thing onto a Speed Graphic! Yikes. Its huge, and its heavy, and serious overkill for 4x5.
    I gotta ask - why choose the Industar-37 for 4x5 over any of the 200-300mm lenses (in shutters) made for the format?