Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calumet is done for good

Re: Calumet is done for good

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    They did, C&A marketing, the company that bought Ritz out of their bankruptcy assets also bought Calumet out of their bankruptcy assets. C&A has been closing down stores like the Camera World and Calumet stores recently.
    Should have mentioned that Calumet UK did not go bankrupt and were not involved in the asset sale of Calumet US.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I remember meeting with Calumet executives after I left Zone VI. Fred Picker used to refer to such people as "Maximum printable density." You're right, they didn't get it. Others believe that they bought Zone VI just to get the mailing list, and were never really interested in the niche Fred had, in fact, created in the early 80s. Too bad. It is interesting, though, to contemplate whether Zone VI would still be alive today.
    Bruce, how true! I tried to support Calumet as much as I could around 1999-2007 but they were plain dense. A couple of the support folks were good but for the most part they made a lot of dumb decisions. When I bought my Cambo 23SF I was able to get some parts from them but they would constantly send me parts for a 4x5 Cambo that would not fit. And tell me I was wrong!!! Their greatest sin IMHO was that they ran Zone VI into the ground.

I'm not sad to see them gone. All things must pass. I just wish Zone VI had survived. I still have a lot of Zone VI stuff in my darkroom. When the new Zone VI catalog arrived in the mail I would read every word in it to the point that my wife would hide them from me .
    Tony
    Newnan, GA
    Cambo 23SF

One problem Calumet had is they never fully computerized their inventory.

They should have copied B&H.

They never knew what they had in stock, towards the end they published lists of used and NOS. New stock was piled on the floor, in the way of shoppers. Rental was kinda secret and they jumped on those renters, but again, didn't list their full inventory. I would comb through the lists, go to the warehouse and have to insist they had the item and force them to go look. Then it became only one guy that knew the warehouse stock by memory and only he could find anything.

Bad management and failure to embrace the Internet and computers. imho

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	145652 This place is still rocking and rolling! Was just there Sunday and it was busy. Saw a lot of folks buying film. I like to shop there when possible. A little more expensive than online, but supporting a local business is a bonus for me ( a small business owner ). Took this shot and resulting crappy, dusty scan with an old Nikkormat and Ilford Delta 3200. Looks great enlarged to 16 x 20!

Quote Originally Posted by Sven1965 View Post

ID:	145652 This place is still rocking and rolling! Was just there Sunday and it was busy. Saw a lot of folks buying film. I like to shop there when possible. A little more expensive than online, but supporting a local business is a bonus for me ( a small business owner ). Took this shot and resulting crappy, dusty scan with an old Nikkormat and Ilford Delta 3200. Looks great enlarged to 16 x 20!
    Yes, but Don's sons seem uninterested in taking over...

I will be there Saturday.

edit

I try to buy film at Central, but I need a 100ft roll of 35mm by Monday. I just called they have nothing.

B&H wins.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 27-Jan-2016 at 14:27. Reason: disapointed

You should show their front widows and those signs over the counters.

ID:	145652 This place is still rocking and rolling! ....!
    It must be 20 years since I've been in Central Camera. I used to buy my 120 & 70mm double perf Tri-X 100' rolls from them. Narrow store, very long. I remember that their used prices were on the high side. Felt like I was walking into a store in the 1940's.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA
    Cambo 23SF

Drew Wiley

At one time they had good people who could answer questions and supply you with specialty items. As those people retired or otherwise moved on, they apparently couldn't find anyone even to build a competent website. It's hard to buy something you can't even identify, especially when no one who is left who knows what you are asking. Then when you take over a known brand like Zone VI, and even advertise it, but refuse to honor the warranties, and are tentative about what the line even represents anymore, that's like throwing rocks at a hornet's nest. Either stay away completely or do it right. You gotta know who you are, and who you're not.
    I just moved on and didn't give them any more business. It was the path of least resistance; dealing with them became a headache.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

John Olsen

Done for good? Too bad! My first orders were in '71 and I still have the Jan '85 Calumet catalog just for laughs. I loved 'em and hated to hear of their demise. On the other hand, over 30 years B&H gradually evolved into not being jerks. I guess the market answers the need.