Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

Re: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

As shown in the image of the disassembled one, there's not any adjustability to that front element. It simply goes in place, or it doesn't.

The below reads to me like mostly CYA/revenue generation from Schneider, really. All they could basically do that a DIY couldn't would be to collimate it (if it even needed that), since there's no shims involved as shown in the image of the opened one.

FWIW

-Ed

"Here's what Schneider-Kreuznach says about messing with the SS-XL, among other alignment-sensitive designs:

Our ranges Super-Angulon (incl. XL types), Super-Symmar XL, Super-Symmar HM, Apo-Componon and Digitar can be only repaired at Schneider-Kreuznach. To optimize the optical parameter in the best possible way an exact re-adjustment of these lenses after repair is absolutely necessary."

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Re: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    a stretchy coating is something like glue?
    I believe the fancy term for the stretchy coating I found is an elastomeric coating. Because elastomeric coatings don't flake off, they are desirable in a delicate machine such as a shutter mechanism. I am speculating again, but I think the rough ground edge of the lens is sharp enough to pierce the coating and start the formation of the near circular holes you see in Schneideritis. Looking at the example from the OP, this may be edge coating separation for some other reason; perhaps the lens got too warm somewhere in time.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    The lens is not that mysterious.

The very front lens element is a thick piece with Frosted barrel and base. And you just need to put that element inside the lens house. I do not have anther same lens to compare, maybe Schneider paint something adsorbing light reflected inside the lens house, but I do not know, but probably there is no such painting, just a bare lens element.

Attachment 145632Attachment 145633Attachment 145634
    How did you remove the front element? I can easily remove the retaining ring, but the lens seems to be glued or attached somehow.

Thanks
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Obviously somebody did not bother to blacken the surface of the lens after cleaning the notoriuous haze Super Symmar problem I guess. On top of that somebody does not even bother to glue the front element back as it is glued to the housing originally (at least in SS 80 XL and SS 110 XL the front element is glued).
    May I ask you xinchenc does the front element wobble when put into the housing? If it does then it has to be glued back in precise position otherwise the optical performance of the lens will be probably bad.
    And yes, it would be better to blacken all the surfaces of the lens (not the optical ones of course) as the inner reflections can affect the overall contrast a lot.