Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

Re: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

This lens appears to have been sold on eBay in November, along with a Sinar F2 kit, and then again in December. Are you the seller, and are you having issues with returns or customer complaints? Or perhaps the latest buyer? Some buyers would consider Schneideritis to be a condition that should be disclosed before sale. I've had a couple of lenses afflicted with such but never like that. Mine usually presented as what looked like bubbles.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

That seems to be the conventional wisdom, that it's "not a problem." Schneider appears to accept this logic.

But, I really question that assertion. Most times, "Schneideritis" exists in the form of tiny, very bright, silver spots. Multitudes of them. Personally, I would not want all that stray light reflecting about underneath the surface of any lens, regardless of the location of its origin. So, I steer clear of these lenses. Many lenses are inexpensive these days, inexpensive enough not to be cornered into purchasing or keeping one of these afflicted optics.

2 cents. Ker-Ching!

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    That seems to be the conventional wisdom, that it's "not a problem." Schneider appears to accept this logic.
    Of course Schneider does. I find it disturbing that one renowned lens manufacturer is singularly well known for this defect. It is a defect.

Schneider has another logic, if your lens has dust inside, and want Schneider clean that lens, their reply is The whole front or rear needs to be replaced and they do not have the parts anymore. I wonder what lens problem they repair or they in fact just repair the Copal shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post

But, I really question that assertion. Most times, "Schneideritis" exists in the form of tiny, very bright, silver spots. Multitudes of them. Personally, I would not want all that stray light reflecting about underneath the surface of any lens, regardless of the location of its origin. So, I steer clear of these lenses. Many lenses are inexpensive these days, inexpensive enough not to be cornered into purchasing or keeping one of these afflicted optics.

2 cents. Ker-Ching!
    Someone should take two identical lenses, one afflicted and one without, and do a test comparison in a difficult lighting situation.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The lens is not that mysterious.

The very front lens element is a thick piece with Frosted barrel and base. And you just need to put that element inside the lens house. I do not have anther same lens to compare, maybe Schneider paint something adsorbing light reflected inside the lens house, but I do not know, but probably there is no such painting, just a bare lens element.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6019 ??.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	145632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6021 ??.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	145633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6022 ??.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	145634

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Eads View Post
    This may not apply to all Schneider lenses, but I took one apart to see if the paint was really flaking. I found the "Paint" was actually a stretchy coating. The apparent flakes are actually holes in the coating and not flakes. I did not find any flakes anywhere in the shutter or aperture blades. So, my conclusion is that nothing about Schneideritis will harm your lens/shutter or affect image quality.
    a stretchy coating is something like glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    There is a cosmetic issue but not one that would affect the performance of the lens. If you open it up, there will probably be marks on that front ring from where you use a wrench and it will forever look like a lens that has been opened up. (It is possible a rubber cup could turn the ring and not leave a mark, but usually that is not the case.) If it works fine I sure would leave it alone. I've opened plenty of lenses for internal cleaning but never just to try and deal with Schneideritis.
    Do you use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens?

No, lens cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    Schneider has another logic, if your lens has dust inside, and want Schneider clean that lens, their reply is The whole front or rear needs to be replaced and they do not have the parts anymore. I wonder what lens problem they repair or they in fact just repair the Copal shutter?
    Schneider Optics in the US has cleaned internal haze from a G-Claron for me, as part of a service that included Copal shutter repair. This was in 2010, though; perhaps their policy has changed. If you want to make this claim, please be specific about what you tried to have repaired, where and when you sent it and what they said.

Here's what Schneider-Kreuznach says about messing with the SS-XL, among other alignment-sensitive designs:

Our ranges Super-Angulon (incl. XL types), Super-Symmar XL, Super-Symmar HM, Apo-Componon and Digitar can be only repaired at Schneider-Kreuznach. To optimize the optical parameter in the best possible way an exact re-adjustment of these lenses after repair is absolutely necessary.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/en...pport/service/