Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL 4.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	145603

Can this problem be repaired or cleaned?

Thanks.

Gary

Re: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

I don't know the lens structure of this particular lens, but it looks like breakdown of a side/rear paint job. Very well known "problem" with, especially, Schneider lenses. Just a cosmetic/resale value problem. A variety of "Schneideritis" - only a real problem if the flakes can move about between lens elements.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Do you know what is the problem with this Schneider Super-Symmar 210 XL lens?

My local Schneider service center does not repair that kind of "problem" as it is not believed to affect optical performance. You might want to find your local Schneider repair center (wherever that may be) and see if they concur.

It's not a problem.

Or, do a DIY repair. Not that hard usually.

I don't think it needs "repaired". An unskilled hand could do damage in the attempt to correct a harmless cosmetic issue.

I think there is an older thread where it is mentioned that opening a Super-Symmar XL lens for DIY may not be a good idea owing to the unusually fine mechanical tolerances of this design......

There is a cosmetic issue but not one that would affect the performance of the lens. If you open it up, there will probably be marks on that front ring from where you use a wrench and it will forever look like a lens that has been opened up. (It is possible a rubber cup could turn the ring and not leave a mark, but usually that is not the case.) If it works fine I sure would leave it alone. I've opened plenty of lenses for internal cleaning but never just to try and deal with Schneideritis.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlincoln View Post
    It's not a problem.
    + 1

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

This may not apply to all Schneider lenses, but I took one apart to see if the paint was really flaking. I found the "Paint" was actually a stretchy coating. The apparent flakes are actually holes in the coating and not flakes. I did not find any flakes anywhere in the shutter or aperture blades. So, my conclusion is that nothing about Schneideritis will harm your lens/shutter or affect image quality.