Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Medium Format Infrared Images

Re: Medium Format Infrared Images

For years and years have shot IR with film. Made all the mistakes one could make but still had some keeper IR negs. Then several years ago had the opportunity to use an IR converted digital FX camera. Technology makes advances all the time and in this case, for me, was a total game changer. Results were totally equal to shooting IR film but so, so much easier and cheaper. Opted for purchasing an IR filter for my camera instead of a much more costly IR conversion to my FX camera. Never looked back. And this coming from someone who shoots ULF and prints Pt/Pl hand coated prints. Just my 2 cents. BTW: If you are shooting IR film, I totally admire your commitment to the process.

Cove, Lake Weyba
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III FB VC photographic paper, image size 16.5cm X 21.3cm, from a Efke IR820 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 single lens reflex camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and a IR680 filter. Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Nice image!

Snow Gums, Charlotte Pass

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III FB VC, image area 21.3cmX16.5cm, from an Ilford SFX negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 single lens reflex camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and an IR680 filter.
    Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Careened Boat, Weyba Creek

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 VC FB, image area 16.3cm x 21.4cm, from an Efke IR820 Aura negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and IR680 filter.

Outstanding IR, Maris. 'Been tempted, but it looks expensive & the learning curve would surely burn though some expensive film before any joy. 'Very beautiful work.

Careened Boat, Weyba Creek: Very nice image Maris!

I only tried one roll of MF IR, Rollei IR400 back in 2009. It didn't work out so well, but I got a few good shots. Mostly, I shoot 4x5 Efke Aura now. I've long since sold all my 6x4.5 gear anyway.

05-22-09-10 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

05-22-09-5 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Thanks HiHoSilver and jon.oman. Infrared film is fun for those with a high tolerance for failure. But there is no self-blame because you don't exactly know what you are going to get anyway.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Maris - Like others, I admire and enjoy your IR images. As seems to be the case in many of my interests, I'm late to the party. I'd love to give IR a try, but the beloved Efke film is no longer available and I'm not sure there is a suitable alternative. For now, I'll continue to simply enjoy from afar.