Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesa tape 50577 - cracked darkslide repair?

Tesa tape 50577 - cracked darkslide repair?

Just wondering if anyone has come across this stuff - seems strong and thin enough to repair a cracked darkslide, or patching holes in a lensboard - http://www.tesa.com/industry/products/tesa_50577,i.html

Has anyone else used this tape, and able to comment on its effectiveness?

Re: Tesa tape 50577 - cracked darkslide repair?

I've used a lot of aluminum tape but not for darkslides. It might work well as it's thin and very sticky.
    I've use photo black paper tape for darkslide cracks.

I was unaware of this tape. Evidently 0.0034" thick with adhesive. Which is thin in my book.

I would try it and I will most likely buy some as I find new tapes and uses for those tapes almost everyday.

I have used clear packing tape on a DS for reinforcement along a crack line. My packing tape is 0.002".
    Tin Can

Do or do not. There is no try.

That's pretty impressive-sounding tape, if expensive. Industrial Tape sells it on Amazon, $55 for three rolls plus another $15 shipping. Anyone interested in splitting a US order? One roll would be more than a lifetime supply for me.

Yes if we can get a third. But realize we will be paying double shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    That's pretty impressive-sounding tape, if expensive. Industrial Tape sells it on Amazon, $55 for three rolls plus another $15 shipping. Anyone interested in splitting a US order? One roll would be more than a lifetime supply for me.
    Tin Can

Don't know what the US shipping would be but I've ordered some from ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesa-Tape-...IAAOxygLxSXo9D UK based seller - seems to be the only one listed when I do a "worldwide" search (unless there's sellers in the US who don't ship outside of US territory).

[QUOTE=DKirk;1303246]Don't know what the US shipping would be but I've ordered some from ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesa-Tape-...IAAOxygLxSXo9D UK based seller - seems to be the only one listed when I do a "worldwide" search (unless there's sellers in the US who don't ship outside of US territory).[/QUOTE

That's the only listing on USA eBay.

How about a review here when you get it?
    Tin Can

[QUOTE=Randy Moe;1303321]
    Quote Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
    Don't know what the US shipping would be but I've ordered some from ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesa-Tape-...IAAOxygLxSXo9D UK based seller - seems to be the only one listed when I do a "worldwide" search (unless there's sellers in the US who don't ship outside of US territory).[/QUOTE

That's the only listing on USA eBay.

How about a review here when you get it?
    Fair enough - as a quick fix I have used "normal", i.e shiny foil tape (the stuff used for insulation boards), though I do have some concerns about the potential for reflecting any other light leaks that it may have. Fairly low likely hood, for a darkslide, though a chance where used elsewhere.

It's been dispatched, so should arrive early next week (second class postage). Hope that it'll be like the shiny stuff in that it has a paper backing - that way it is much easier to handle, and can be cut to different shapes (e.g around a lens mount), or for some experiments in making pinholes. Potentially, with the right punch tool I may have a go at making up an imagon-like diffusion disc to use with a meniscus lens.

I'm pretty sure this is used by film lighting techs called "blacktak". it's basically 2" black foil with high temp glue
    should be able to find it by the roll at film supplie shops

robin

Quote Originally Posted by brighamr View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is used by film lighting techs called "blacktak". it's basically 2" black foil with high temp glue
    should be able to find it by the roll at film supplie shops

robin
    Could well be - there was some brand some of the tour guys were using that was supposedly rated for 200 degrees C. . .

So that's the tape just arrived earlier today. So far fairly impressed, bar the first bit of adhesive securing the end down is a bit too strong - it did lift a bit of the surface off the tape beneath. Aside from that, it is on a backing strip, so can easily be cut to shape.

I'll dig out my IR converted NEX-5R tomorrow to check to see if it is IR tight too.