Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on Camera Repair Estimate

Re: Advice on Camera Repair Estimate

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Unless he needs boards, ground glass, Frenels or repair parts. And he still doesn't have front tilts. So why waste money on a quick fix?
    It might depend on the needs of the user. If the only thing that is hindering the owner's use of this camera is a leaky bellows, getting a Chinese bellows and installing it himself will be perfectly fine.

So, he's back in business for $100. He can shoot this camera until he finds a IV or newer in the right condition for the right price.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Unless he needs boards, ground glass, Frenels or repair parts. And he still doesn't have front tilts. So why waste money on a quick fix?
    Fair assessment - the ground glass should be OK since I replaced it when I bought the camera. I appreciate the quick fix advice but it's looking more like take the camera as it is and look for another one down the line.

Thank you! It's great to be participating a bit - I've been browsing the forums for years now. I find it interesting to watch conversations like this - I've learned so much reading through threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    It might depend on the needs of the user. If the only thing that is hindering the owner's use of this camera is a leaky bellows, getting a Chinese bellows and installing it himself will be perfectly fine.

So, he's back in business for $100. He can shoot this camera until he finds a IV or newer in the right condition for the right price.
    That's fair - I could look into the Chinese bellows as a temp fix for a reasonable price... hm

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Thomason View Post
    The CLA for the shutter sounds about right. I would order the bellows from one of the vendors that specializes in making them and install them yourself. It's not that difficult. Would save a bunch of money to put toward more glass.
    It looks like the bellows may be worthwhile doing on my own - I turned them down for the CLA at first... that one seemed to make the most sense to me, too, Stephen. I understand CLAs on equipment - the price that caught me off guard was the bellows and everything else. Thanks for replying!