Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Camera Repair Estimate

Advice on Camera Repair Estimate

Hey all!

Longtime lurker - decided to make a post in regards to a camera repair estimate on my Linhof Technika 4x5. I love to shoot with my Linhof but I haven't read up enough to understand the importance of different types of repairs and what I could do without (if at all). I plan to research this a bit, however this forum has been so helpful to me as a lurker I wanted to share this estimate with you and hear your thoughts.

The estimates are as follows,
    1. Linhof MASTER TECHNIKA 4x5" 58473
    - *Focus Cam, Lens Board rise/down gear damaged. No Parts !!
    - Just Replace Bellows and General Overhaul, Adjust, Lubricate, check and clean
    Labor $360.00 + Parts $356.00 + tax
    2. Schneider 150mm F4.5 Xenar 4191772
    - Overhaul Shutter Mechanism(Shutter speed is off).
    - Lubricate, Clean and Adjust.
    Labor $160.00 + tax

The total is $953.75 which includes tax.

Should I proceed with the repairs? I remember reading about how replacing bellows may not be the best way to go - the shutter adjustment makes sense to me... bunch of things going on here! It's not a money issue as much as me wanting to understand the importance behind them. I also plan to call the repair shop back when I have more time to hear the reasoning directly from them.

Thanks so much for your time and any advice you may have!
    Lindsay

Re: Advice on Camera Repair Estimate

If your bellows are shot, then you need new bellows.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

First of all, why do you think that you have a Master Technika? The Master Technika was introduced in Sept of 1972. Your serial number is for a Technika III from 1957.
    There is no reason to put that much money into a III. A III is missing forward lens tilt, the most common movement on a view camera. None of the parts are available from the factory. The III uses a different size board and GG then all later models of the Technika.
    If you want to spend that much money look for a IV or a V. While some of these may also no longer have repair parts available at least cams, boards and GG and Fresnel screens are and all accessories for the current Master fit cameras as old as the IV.

And how did you arrive at the total repair cost? What you post as the costs are far less then your posted total.

It's not worth it. Bob's right.

I can (and have) buy a mint Xenar for less than the cost of a CLA, and spare shutter is not hard to find.

As for the camera be patient watch ebay, post on here in the wanted adverts (after a month as a member) and on other Forums, it's possible to get the parts you need from people breaking up cameras. It took me a year or so to get the bit's to repair and restore a Super Graphic I bought cheap, but the Internet is your friend here.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    And how did you arrive at the total repair cost? What you post as the costs are far less then your posted total.
    According to my calc, the tax is 8.75%, maybe some shipping in there too?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    If your bellows are shot, then you need new bellows.
    Hi Peter,

That makes sense - I checked around after sending this post and read if it's to the point where you need new ones - you should go for it.

This may sound silly but the slides I shoot with the camera are perfectly fine in my eyes - I've never seen a problem with the bellows or camera. I dropped the camera off at the shop mainly for a cleaning and came back with a hefty estimate.

Appreciate your input! Thank you

Lindsay

The Master Technika title came from the repair shop - when it was sold to me at a camera convention back in Boston years ago I was told it was a Technika III like you pointed out.

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me the value in looking at a IV or a V versus putting time and money into the III. That's really neat that the cams, boards, and screens are all available if needed.

The total repair cost also came from the shop - the estimate was taken straight from the email they sent to me (I missed their phone call so I got an email follow up). I apologize for not being more clear - I was anxious to post this for advice and didn't give a clear picture. Thank you for taking the time regardless.

This shop is Nippon Photo Clinic in New York for the tax part.

Hi Ian

Thank you for echoing Bob's post about not moving forward with the repairs. Like I was saying in my reply to Peter - the shots I've developed from it have always been fine to my eyes...so I might as well keep it and use it how I have been. Moving forward, I am going to keep an eye on Ebay - I appreciate your advice about what to look out for and a fair timeline.

The internet is a beautiful place for purchasing film gear - I've had solid luck so far. It's really interesting to me that a camera I shoot and develop film with could have such a high cost in repairs but look fine to me.

Thank you again, Ian

Lindsay

Hey there, you're about right -- this shop is in New York. I should've included that in my original post! I believe the shop factored in shipping, as well, since I'm not currently living in the New York area.

Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by lbb4x5 View Post
    Hey there, you're about right -- this shop is in New York. I should've included that in my original post! I believe the shop factored in shipping, as well, since I'm not currently living in the New York area.

Lindsay
    Where are you living?