Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horseman zoom finder is inaccurate ?

horseman zoom finder is inaccurate ?

I started using a horseman universal zoom finder i picked up cheap. It seems to be be very inaccurate. Maybe someone who uses one of these could enlighten me. It has a 4x5 mask and when dialing in a focal length in the 4x5 scale, it's just wrong. I had a 200mm imagon lens mounted and needed to set the viewfinder at 135mm to get the same frame.

maybe it's been misassembled? With the mask removed, and when dialed to 90mm, the inside element is racked completely forward as far as it could go. I haven't given it an in depth workout, but with a 250mm lens mounted, correct frameing is found at 180mm on the dial. Thanks for any insights

Re: horseman zoom finder is inaccurate ?

I came across a second 4x5 horseman zoom finder to add to my test study. This new one is also inaccurate. with a 210 mounted on a non-horseman camera, correct framing in the viewfinder is found at 150mm on the finder dial.

My first thought was user error, but i've tried every way to use the finder and can't find my own error. for example, finder placed on lens plane vs. film plane etc.

maybe I'm crazy, but I can't imagine attaching this to a horseman camera and having proper results.

anyone using this finder for handheld pre-viewing??

I have two Linhof finder (the new model) and both are accurate.

Are you sure it's a 4x5 mask? I can't see Horseman being that badly built that it's off by that much.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    I came across a second 4x5 horseman zoom finder to add to my test study. This new one is also inaccurate.
    Just to be sure, this not actually a Gaoersi brand, is it?

It is a horseman brand and it does have the 4x5 mask. It is the second one I've tried with similar affect. I did just read in another forum thread where 2 people had mentioned the same thing. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hp/t-3053.html

Seems ridiculous to me considering the price of these things new and I keep thinking I am doing something wrong.

Maybe I'll try a linhof finder. I'm not basic enough to use a cardboard cutout.

For all I can tell you are doing all the right things. At that point of frustration, it might be a good idea to chuck the Horseman.

I have a couple of the early style Linhof optical finders and they are very good, and often affordable. I never used the new style.

I have one. I will check it soon. I have never used it.

My "earlier" Linhof finder isn't too accurate, either, especially on the wide-angle end, and I've been told that the "late" models aren't too good on the long end (over 210mm).
    My preferred finders are the Pacemaker/Super Graphic and match the masks to the GG image (I have all the many sizes of masks).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I just checked mine against a 90mm on 4x5 GG screen and they are close enough for me. Very close.

Mine was not cheap. It was a gift and that LFPF member has always given me nearly perfect everything.

Thank you benefactor!

Just to refer good past technology, a good wire frame composer actually works quite well.