Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your ULF camera

Re: Show off your ULF camera

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    The rails are so tight, it actually hurts my fingers to rack out the rear rails. I'll probably add a "rubber" cover to the rear knob to try to save my fingers. Probably doesn't help that I'm in Louisiana with high humidity. L
    Take a look at the bed of the camera to see if there is any separation. That could cause the rails to be too tight with the resultant difficulty focusing.

The bed is perfect with no separation. The camera is basically unused and I believe it's just very tight from lack of use. Luis

Great Luis! Glad that's all it is. Well, that and possibly some La. humidity. I once had a wood field camera (not a Deardorff, but it doesn't matter) completely lock up on me while attempting to photograph outside in southeastern Virginia. Took it inside the house, which was air conditioned and you would never have known there was a problem

New Orleans, LA

Oh man, that's sweet!

I'd been wanting a Deardorff V11 in good condition at a fair price. I never thought I'd find a mint (basically unused) one at a fair price! I think I already know the secret handshake, my knuckles are all bloodied up from setting it up! It's a beast, makes my V8's look like a toy. 42" bellows with 11x14 and 8x10 reducing backs! The first photo I have a piece of cardboard on the bed so as not to scratch the bed when folded! The bellows is a canvas outer fabric unlike that of any of my V8's. It's a bit stiff from lack of use, but extends all the way out. Ken said that there were 10 of those canvas bellows made in the 1980's, but no pin holes which is all I care about! Now to get some film and more 11x14 Fidelity holders!

Attachment 161568Attachment 161569Attachment 161570Attachment 161571

Luis...I was offered what looks like this exact model of 11x14 Deardorf (green/greenish canvas outer bellows?) back in the '80's - but the expense motivated me to build my own. But the 'Dorff was certainly a sight to behold! Apparently this model was a limited edition - not that many copies.

At any rate...the owner of that particular camera worked in Claremont, NH., and I'm curious - as you'd mentioned flying east for this camera, if it might not be the exact same one?

Hard to tell, but I don't think so. I didn't fly that far North, more to the mid Atlantic. Supposedly, the person I bought it from bought it new in 1982 and only used it a couple of times. I can believe the couple of times part, because it is basically unused. Ken Hough said that there were 10 of those green canvas bellows made in the 1980's but several of them had trouble and went back to Deardorff for replacement under warranty. This bellows appears to be light tight and shows no wear, and is in excellent shape. It's just stiff and heavy due to the heavy canvas fabric. At some point I will probably order a replacement bellows to have a backup when needed. I have extra V5 & V8 bellows for those cameras as backups. In any case, I'm thrilled to have this camera! Here's a shot of the bellows material:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1178.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	161748
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 23-Feb-2017 at 08:17.

J how about some shots of the 717?

J how about some shots of the 717?
    Luis,
    Will post something next week when I get back to the farm.

J

Finally a complete ULF kit, my first.

An Unknown 12"x10" British Field camera which I bought (off Ebay) from the Grandson of the original owner who still runs the family studio and camera shop, his father was the last person to use it. Luckily I was already restoring some 12"x10" book form plate holders and they fit but the original lens had long gone

Yesterday I found a nice 20" (508mm) RR which more than covers, it would be fine on a 15"x2" camera and is close to covering 20"x16".. Optically the lens is in very good condition but there was no flange - however I've been buying flanges whenever I see them as job lots at good prices (which is not very often) and was surprised to find I had one - a perfect fit.

This is the lens, perhaps Continental European, I bought it off a Polish seller at a Camera Fair yesterday (he wasn't familiar with UK coins and all of his newer other LF lenses were East German or Russian.

I have 3 or 4 different shutters I can use with this lens, Norka and TP studio shutters ans well as two different Time/Inst roller blind shutter. The camera with a Quarter Plate Houghton Victo for scale !

Now I need to hear from Ilford why Harman Direct Positive paper isn't available over 10x8 in British sizes only US

Ian

Congrats, Ian! What a beautiful vintage camera.

How does the front standard fold down?