Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Options for scanning 4x5 negs

Re: Options for scanning 4x5 negs

I use and also recommend an Epson 4990 or newer (V700). They give very acceptable results with LF especially if you scan broadly for the most info and not for a contrasty "final" result. I use almost exclusively Vuescan for all my scanning too. That will mean initially a very gray and flat looking scan but that's what you want so you can work basic levels and curves to add some nice contrast and even work "burning/dodging" in locally for sharpness or details as desired without overly breaking up the histogram of tones.

Another option is a LeafScan 45 (and I have one of those too) though you generally need an older computer to accommodate it's dated SCSI hook ups, it's quite
    Large and bulky, and it is LOUD when running, amongst other workflow quirks...

I got my HP G4050 setup last night, grabbed demos of silverfast and vuescan.

Silverfast didnt seem to want to recognize my scanner (despite it being installed correctly and working fine) I made sure I got V6.6 for my HP scanner, but just didnt work. During install it said that the 64bit drivers weren't installed (but they were)
    vuescan did install and detect the scanner fine however.

I only tried it with the included film holder, I haven't tried wetmounting yet. I'll leave that until the weekend when I have more time.

Try Duralar as an alternative to Mylar, it is available from most art supply stores. Also, I use plain mineral oil to wet mount negs using the betterscan holder. The easiest source of clean mineral oil is any good brand of sharpening stone oil, which is usually pure mineral oil. I use Norton Sharpening Stone Oil but I'm sure there are other brands. Mineral oil can be shipped and is virtually non toxic. Kami fluid is toxic and should probably be used under some kind of vent hood.

I use a V600 and scan the negative in two passes and stitch together.

Is the HP G4050 designed for large format, or do you have to stitch images together?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Is the HP G4050 designed for large format, or do you have to stitch images together?
    G4050 has a 4x5 holder included. One thing I have found though is the holder lifts the film too high, you actually get better resolution if you lay it directly on the glass. That of course introduces the possibility of newton rings on your scan and is fiddly.

Thanks -- that's good to know. It's less expensive than the Epson flatbeds.

All of the later scans on my LF flickr page, starting with the one of the cellist sitting in front of the piano, are done with the G4050. You can click the down-arrow on the lower right of the photos and see the original size scans. I'm usually scanning 4x5 at 2000ppi, 5x7 and 8x10 at 1000dpi, and this is all x-ray film. I haven't had any newton ring problems, probably because of the film's texture on the side against the glass. I will eventually try wet scanning directly on the glass, but the results I'm getting aren't unsatisfactory to me, so I haven't rushed to try that. http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton

I did try two-pass scanning on a 35mm neg, and while the results were not bad, the two-pass scan resulted in some strange doubling effect of the grain, and of course it took twice as long, so that doesn't seem like an improvement.
    Last edited by mdarnton; 17-Jan-2016 at 12:01.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by LotusEsp View Post
    Alan, I actually have an old Espon perfection 2400, which still works. But if I was using 35mm I think I'd be fine to continue with that. However the diffuse lightsource in the lid I dont think is wide enough to cover 4x5 film and when I tried scanning it, it ended up giving 5 seperate scans. The software wont allow me to set a larger single scan size
    The 4x5 transparency adapter from the earlier Epson scanners works with the 2400. That is what I use. Actually, I bought the adapter then looked for the newest scanner I was sure I could use it with. Works fine for me with only a Epson 1400 printer.

So, look for one of the 4x5 adapters.

I am still holding with my V750M-Pro until i can get something better or say affording something better, but i really was looking for a used drum scanner, and i try to find one and nothing at all, and when i find one and try to save up for it it is gone in no time, so it is like i will never use anything other than my Epson until it stops working.