Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for scanning 4x5 negs

Re: Options for scanning 4x5 negs

Strange
    A new V800 on amazon.ca is only $570 (usd)

I just got a used Epson 4990, which scans the same formats as the V700 and V800 for $125. Scan resolution is limited to 4800 DPI rather than the 6400 DPI of the V700 & V800. You can't beat that for value, I'd say...

Yeah most flatbed scanners are fine for large format. The film is large enough that even a relatively low-resolution scanner provides plenty of resolution. The Epson 4990, 700-series, and 800-series are all pretty similar, and the old ones are pretty inexpensive.

To get the most out of them though, you'll want to get a good film holder, maybe even a wet mount one. Most people seem to like the http://betterscanning.com ones. I wet mount all my scans because it gets rid of dust and you save a lot of time dust-spotting the scanned files.

If you're scanning 35mm or medium-format film though, then you might want to pay up to get a good flatbed, like a modern Epson V700/800 model or, even better, a dedicated roll film scanner like the Nikon Coolscan series.
    -Adam

I use the Betterscanning to scan my 617 films (medium format and smaller go to the Nikon LS-9000), and I tried both the Betterscanning 4x5 holder and the new 8xx holder on the V750. In the end, I stay with the V7xx holder as the film is pretty flat by itself and much easier to use. Of course, you do still have to adjust for the "perfect" height.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    To get the most out of them though, you'll want to get a good film holder, maybe even a wet mount one.
    I just run drum tape around the edge of the glass to keep the mounting fluid from seeping under it, squirt a bit of Kami fluid directly on the glass flatbed, lay my neg down, lay a piece of clear Mylar on top, then use a scanner cleaning cloth to work out the bubbles. Works like a champ and I've never had even a hint of any fluid getting down into my scanner. I guess it's a little messy vs some kind of fluid mounting station, but all ya need is the supplies; which ya need anyway.

Is Kami fluid something which is special order or is there some generic fluid which people use?

If you're in the USA, Kami is distributed by Aztek. It's mostly naphtha. Lumina is supposed to be a safer alternative. I've used both without issues.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use Kami products for all my scanning. Haven't tried other brands.

Kami fluid is good stuff, gentle, and a bottle of it lasts a lonnnnng time. I use it to clean film as well (wiping with optical wipes) since it's safer than film cleaner in a lot of ways.

I have an original Howtek 4500 drum that has seen nothing but Kami products for over 20 years (still have the receipt) and the drum is still great.

Whatever fluid you use, it is still advisable to wear lung protection and/or use good ventilation while you're applying it.
    -Adam

Thanks
    Aztek wont ship Kami out of the USA (I am in Canada) but I have found an alternative.

Now I'd just need to find Mylar to overlay the film

I managed to get a great deal on a G4050, I'm pretty happy as I think the V800 would have been overkill for me right now.

So I've seen people are using mineral oil instead of Kami fluid, I'm fine with that. I just need to work out what they call Mylar equivalent here. (a major trouble with living in a different country, is knowing the local names for stuff )