Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for scanning 4x5 negs

Options for scanning 4x5 negs

Hi
    So my first outing shooting with 4x5 was reasonably successful. I got a couple of exposures and I have developed them reasonably well (still to improve this step but that will come with practice I am sure)

Now I am wanting to think about getting my B&W + Colour negs scanned.
    I know I can go to a lab and get my negatives scanned, but part of the draw of film photography is doing the entire process myself. I will lose interest quick if I have to keep going (and paying) for scanning services at a shop.
    I'm not going to be printing myself more than A3 size, if I ever need to go above this, I guess I can get a lap to scan & print.

What options are there for scanning at home? I've read a few online comments that the Canon's Canoscan isnt as good as Epson V700/V800
    Is the V800 the only viable solution for under $1000? I dont mind getting used kit if its available.

thanks

Re: Options for scanning 4x5 negs

I bought a HP G4050 a year ago and it's doing fine. The price is right.

Sure, it's last year's technology, but scanning large film is not really all that difficult of a problem, and I didn't feel I needed The Best, just What Works for what I need to do. If you want the best, you need a drum scanner, anyway. I believe several other people here have one, also. It's appropriate technology for a very decent price.

Add the purchase of VueScan, though--the original software can't accomplish a decent scan, as many have discovered.

You talk about Canonscan v Epson, but you should be talking about how many dollars do I need to make a good A4.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I still use my now very old Epson 1680 (nearly 15 years old) flatbed to scan both 4x5 and 8x10 film. I scan at 1600 ppi which translates to roughly a 5x enlargement when printed; bigger than anything I'd normally print. Therefore, if you don't plan on making HUGE prints you can easily get by with yesterday's technology.

Good luck!

Thanks for the HP suggestion, that does look a good price.

Alan, I actually have an old Espon perfection 2400, which still works. But if I was using 35mm I think I'd be fine to continue with that. However the diffuse lightsource in the lid I dont think is wide enough to cover 4x5 film and when I tried scanning it, it ended up giving 5 seperate scans. The software wont allow me to set a larger single scan size

For several years I used an Epson Perfection 2450 to scan 4x5 negatives. If you are satisfied with the 2400 for 35mm, a 2450 should be great for 4x5. Probably, if the 2400 works on your computer, you could upgrade to a used 2450 or one of the later models. An Epson 700 eventually replaced the 2450 with no great improvement in performance for my modest needs.

During 2013, I had a project where I was to scan some 12k in B&W negatives. After scanning just under 3k mis-communications ended the project.
    I purchased four Microtek Scanmaker i900. (There are three currently on eBay, however they are drastically overpriced).
    I was quite pleased with the machine and results.
    Two-thirds of my scans were 4 x 5's and most of the remainder were 3 x 4's.

The scanners are quite heavy in weight and shipping is rather expensive.
    I would caution anybody considering a used one to be sure you acquire as many of the original accessories as possible. Film holders and lower level transparency glass. Three I bought did NOT include the IT8 Targets, and they are most expensive (one may not even be found), however the IT8's are not required for B&W negatives. Seem to recall locating a website that offered downloads of profiles.

A refurbished V700 from the clearance center section of the EpsonStore is often priced in the low $400s. Stock changes daily and is unpredictable, so you just have to keep checking each day when they are out of stock. They sell out pretty fast when units finally become available.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by LotusEsp View Post
    Alan, I actually have an old Espon perfection 2400, which still works. But if I was using 35mm I think I'd be fine to continue with that. However the diffuse lightsource in the lid I dont think is wide enough to cover 4x5 film and when I tried scanning it, it ended up giving 5 seperate scans. The software wont allow me to set a larger single scan size
    Well, perhaps a way to start is to use your Epson 2400 to scan separate sections of a 4x5 neg, and then stitch back together. I've not personally done this, but I've read many accounts of folks who do. Certainly not the ideal solution, but it could be a way to start with no investment.

Do you have a dslr?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    A refurbished V700 from the clearance center section of the EpsonStore is often priced in the low $400s. Stock changes daily and is unpredictable, so you just have to keep checking each day when they are out of stock. They sell out pretty fast when units finally become available.

Doug
    There's a refurbished v800 there now for $599.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design