Thread: A-little-history-on-infrared-flash-photography/

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

A-little-history-on-infrared-flash-photography/

Re: A-little-history-on-infrared-flash-photography/

As the OP wrote, IR flash photography has been in existence for a very long time. To those who wish to practice it today, one needs IR (or near IR) film, and a filter over the light source, which is a flash or IR coated bulbs. Flash bulbs put out so much more light (lumens) than electronic flash can produce that to make IR images requires flash bulbs and flash filter, or a digital camera which puts this beyond the scope of this forum. No digital. Film is our subject.

If you happen to have the necessary gear, speak up.

I've wondered if the infrared light sources used in Game and Trail cameras are bright enough to use with film ?

In the early 50s I took an interest in IR photography, motivated by an article in Popular Photography (?) about Weegee. The GE 5 and the Sylvania 25 were identical small bulbs with identical guide numbers. As I recall, the Sylvania IR bulb was designated 25R similar to the GE 5R.

Of course the emitted light was invisible and would go unnoticed, but if anyone were staring in the direction of the flash they would note a red glow for a brief instant.
    al

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    I've wondered if the infrared light sources used in Game and Trail cameras are bright enough to use with film ?
    Without even specifying the speed of the IR film, a categorical 'no' is the answer, I'm afraid.

A typical game camera has a flash of about 4 watts, or 60 lumens/seconds at best.
    The #5 flash bulb has about 15,000 lumen seconds.

Pretty impressive output!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Without even specifying the speed of the IR film, a categorical 'no' is the answer, I'm afraid.
    Depending on subject matter and reciprocity characteristics of IR film it might work at 60 lumens,
    I very briefly looked into what the sensors sensitivity on the Game Cams are but came up with nothing.
    More stuff to add to my experiment list.

A typical game camera has a flash of about 4 watts, or 60 lumens/seconds at best.
    The #5 flash bulb has about 15,000 lumen seconds.

Pretty impressive output!
    Pretty impressive explosion too ! I test fired an old #5R flash bulb just to see what there is to see
    the flash bulb blew up pretty good. I have few more left to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Pretty impressive explosion too ! I test fired an old #5R flash bulb just to see what there is to see
    the flash bulb blew up pretty good. I have few more left to try.
    Ah, yes, you got 'em from the coyotes Acme flashbulb. Shoulda been suspicious that it required a blasting cap!

I own a cheap I/R flash trigger that fits on my 35mm camera. It's essentially a (cheap) strobe with a built-in infrared filter that can optically trigger studio strobes without biasing the exposure. An example is at B&H here. This might work for your purposes...

Hmm very interesting read. I have a small flash unit that I use with my rangefinders, an SB30 that has a pull up IR filter that was designed to help trigger slaves up to 40 feet away. The manual says there is a light spill but also says it will not affect the image exposure. Would a flash like this be suitable to shoot ir flash with? Also what IR sheet films are people using currently? That are still fresh? I have only shot IR on 35mm film with HIE and in natural lighting. Thanks.

Oh also I have an IR flash light that I bought pretty inexpensivly to help with an IR goggle I have. Got it for kicks, maybe I'll use it for camping. But the IR googles were for development by inspection in the darkroom. Perhaps such a flashlight can be used for light painting with IR.

If you happen to have the necessary gear, speak up.
    Well, I have the necessary gear. I picked up a Sunpak 622 with an assortment of interchangeable heads, and one was the IR head.

I have pseudo-IR film (SFX & Konica 750) but haven't ventured into using them. I also have a LifePixel converted Canon 20D, and I have tried that, and they work well together.

The flash is rated at 830 or 850nm, which is why I've been a bit hesitant to try it with the film. The Konica will possibly work, since it's closer to 850nm then the SFX.

Finding an application for the combo has been the challenge. Not much of a peeping Tom, and I don't go to movies much. Plus, using it at night in general will have very limited uses. I guess it may be fun for nighttime street. If anyone has idea of what to use this combo on, let's hear it.

As for using it with the 20D, it's fine for B&W, but figuring out how to get a white balance for color is difficult to say the least.