Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Links to eBay for purposes of discussion

Re: Links to eBay for purposes of discussion

A couple years ago, I asked about a lens tool that can handle lens that are nested deep inside helical, and a kind person shows an eBay listing. Without the image on the listing, I would have been lost.

Another case in point: for another inquiry, another person mentioned "tophat lensboard". Well, I don't think that particular term brings up the right items on ebay, and it took me a couple days to find what I need. If people are more free to insert links, it would have been more useful.

So it seems like a case of protecting some people, who don't want to miss out on bargains for themselves, that cause more pain for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    However some felt that their diligent searching and acquiring of lenses as cheaply as possible was compromised by others learning about listings without due hardship.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    So it seems like a case of protecting some people, who don't want to miss out on bargains for themselves, that cause more pain for everyone.
    For the most part right now I'm just listening to what everyone has to say. But I want to swat this one right away - this has not been a consideration and will not be. The Forum is not run for the purpose of stacking the deck in favor of any particular group of buyers, and policy is not made on that basis.

The primary considerations in play here are the principle of keeping the Forum non-commercial, and the objective, to the extent reasonably possible, of preserving the value of Forum threads as reference material over the longer run. How best to realize those goals in practice while giving reasonable consideration to other member needs and interests is the challenge.

Oren, thanks for the clarification.

This is similar to the "link rot" issue we have with externally-linked images disappearing in image-discussion threads, but eBay links tend to go bad even more quickly. So, as Oren mentioned, we're trying to arrive at a policy that takes everything into consideration, including the copyrights of the eBay posters. It's good to read the ideas and opinions here.

Important Note: You should not copy and re-post images from eBay (or other) listings unless you have obtained permission from the original eBay poster to do so. Absent that permission, doing so is a violation of that person's copyright, and subjects the forum to potential legal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Important Note: You should not copy and re-post images from eBay (or other) listings unless you have obtained permission from the original eBay poster to do so. Absent that permission, doing so is a violation of that person's copyright, and subjects the forum to potential legal problems.
    Certainly an important consideration for a group who should be concerned with copyright enforcement...

I certainly DO NOT want to get yet again for the millionth time into the online photo copyright debate--but if posting screenshots of E-bay ads for the purposes of discussion and historical research (on a non-commercial discussion board!) is not *precisely* what the fair use doctrine is all about then I don't know what is. This is not a gray area. This is your clearly enumerated right.

(fair use = for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright)

Posting screenshots has the practical advantage of not going stale plus it doesn't require the viewer to go to a different site. Very useful.

--Darin

Darin, I assume we can count on you to pay our attorney's fees when we get sued, even if wrongly sued?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

The dead horse has left the barn.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Darin, I assume we can count on you to pay our attorney's fees when we get sued, even if wrongly sued?
    I would be willing to invest in a hedge betting that you will never be taken to court on such a matter.