Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Studio Camera Stands

Alternative Studio Camera Stands

People often worry that they need an "official" Centennial or similar vintage photography equipment stand, for their big 8x10 or 11x14 Studio Camera. But many tables and stands made for other tasks can be re-purposed into very good camera stands. Here are some ideas:

Sofa Table - these are tall tables made to go behind the back of a living room couch. They are the right height for the job, and are not wide, about as wide as the camera rails. $20 to $100 usually from Ikea or such.
    Sewing Machine stand - These vintage, case iron legs look to role, and you can screw a board across the top to the height you want.
    Drafting Table - often expensive, but they are very adjustable.
    Plant stand, Typewriter tables, etc.
    Card table - yes, they work fine, and are very light and cheap.

How do you adjust for up/down tilt? A big studio camera with a 16" Petzval is heavy, practically a fixture in the studio. You don't move the camera around, you move the subject. Think about it, when got your family and school portraits done, you sat in a chair, the photographer might adjust your pose, the background, or even the lighting. He didn't roll the camera around the room looking for a better spot.

Similarly, you can adjust the height of the table the still life sits on. I've put a platform on a regular tripod, then adjusted it to exactly the height I want the object to be, relative to the lens. I don't move the camera around.

What have you used for a camera stand?

Re: Alternative Studio Camera Stands

a table - but that sucked..so I looked all around until I found a stand

I was thinking of modifying a motorcycle hydraulic jack.. but that would have been a mess I think

Rubbermaid makes a janitors cart I was thinking about as well

I used a hydraulic table with my 11x14 Deardorff S11, it went up and down and had locking wheels.

Black and Decker Workmate. Folds up and you can use the bulit in clamps to secure the camera to the table. Have used this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I used a hydraulic table with my 11x14 Deardorff S11, it went up and down and had locking wheels.
    An actual S11 Bi-Post can turn the camera upside down for the ever important Macro rodent portraits.

http://www.deardorffcameras.com/dear...allery/16a.jpg
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    People often worry that they need an "official" Centennial or similar vintage photography equipment stand, for their big 8x10 or 11x14 Studio Camera. But many tables and stands made for other tasks can be re-purposed into very good camera stands. ...

What have you used for a camera stand?
    I built a tray for the Deardorff 14x14 to sit in (it's 6 feet long") on a sit/stand lift desk mechanism. No tilt, but adjusts from 28.7" to 44.6". There's a motor in each leg. Instead of using wheels, I put large felt pads on the "feet", so it slides around easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sitstand.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	202415

Off-the-wall concept"

what about one of the more elaborate rolling walkers?

Many models have a seat that will support a man's weight. Height may be adjusted and the wheels can be locked. Many models fold up for compact storage.

Maybe do some shop mods to optimize the functionality. Might need to link two to support the whole camera.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Another disability inspired out-of-the-box thought:

A hospital gurney. Rolls around, wheels lock, rated to several hundred pounds . . .some tilt up and down a bit.

Again, it may need some mods to get it to work for photography.

In a few months or by next year there will be a huge number available as surplus I am thinking.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Reread this thread today

I need another heavy duty studio camera stand, that can get low enough for a sitter in chair for 2 cameras, my Levy and an 8x10 B&J Rembrandt

I think this is it https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...DB12/301809931

Wheels lock, multipurpose, I most likely will add the drawers for $20 more

The Levy is becoming 14X17, slowly

The Studio Deardorff can also do it, but it cannot close up enough for a couple very interesting lenses
    Tin Can

The single motor electric lift isn't much more expensive... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1