Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Kardan 8x10 - How to mount lens?

Linhof Kardan 8x10 - How to mount lens?

Hi,

I recently bought a Linhof Kardan Color 8x10 (built 1958 - 1969) and donīt know how to mount a lens. On the lens board there is mounted a tube with an inner diameter of 90 mm (3,5433 inch) which has a thread. Please tell me if there is a shutter that will fit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof 18x24 Objektivplatine.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	148772

Thank you for your help.

Rudi

Re: Linhof Kardan 8x10 - How to mount lens?

I have 8 different types of that Linhof Kardan Color lens board, they also fit the 5X7 variation. I have not seen your iteration. My 2 Linhof catalogs do not show yours either.

Very carefully measure the thread ID and pitch and provide that data with better pictures.

Congratulations on finding a rare great camera.

I would love to see more pictures of your camera. Post in http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Format-camera!

Sorry, did not notice you provided dimensions.

I checked Ilex5 and others, no go, but I found this old thread with answers. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...663#post223663

@ Randy Moe
    @ Ole Tjugen

Hi,

thank you for your help and the congratulations. Yes, the Linhof Kardan Color 8x10 is a great old camera.

So Iīve got to find a Compound 5 that fits in the tube. Maybe I can find an adapter.

Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Rudinal View Post
    @ Randy Moe
    @ Ole Tjugen
    So Iīve got to find a Compound 5 that fits in the tube. Maybe I can find an adapter.
    Rudi
    Might be best to find or have made an adapter to what shutters (e.g. Copal / Compur 3) you currently have lens mounted into.

Otherwise what would you do with an expensive and hard to find Compound 5 shutter?

BTW, welcome to our LF community.

Good luck,

Len

I have indeed made an adapter for this type board. I cut a bigger hole and mount Horseman lens frame with bolts and now use any lens that I can mount to a Sinar type board.

The Linhof lens board is 9" OD and is strong enough to hold nearly any lens. Very sturdy camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have indeed made an adapter for this type board. I cut a bigger hole and mount Horseman lens frame with bolts and now use any lens that I can mount to a Sinar type board.

The Linhof lens board is 9" OD and is strong enough to hold nearly any lens. Very sturdy camera.
    Randy,

I agree with your comments on how strong the lensboard is, having used it smaller 5x7 brother of near the same era.

An adapter board is ideal, but what I was thinking about was a threaded reducer. Not as fast or convenient as an adapter board, but maybe something to get Rudi started quickly, easily, and less expensively.

However, Rudi will need to address the issue regarding how many lenses he has / wants to have, versus his supply / general availability of those Linhof lensboards. An adapter board to a more common lensboard (e.g. your Sinar / Horseman solution) might be a better long term solution.

If your camera's board also fits a 57 Technika then the 001040 board will also fit your camera. This board is a current product and is a special order item.

Let's see what the OP replies.

I also made an adapter for 8" Deardorff boards to mount to the 9" Linhof. Real simple, only trick was 4 Rivet nuts. I use hand sawn plywood as 8" Deardorff lens boards to mount a 10 lb lens. With that rig, I do have to make sure the 2 Linhof QR lens board clips are firmly in place.

I mostly use my Kardan with 5x7 back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If your camera's board also fits a 57 Technika then the 001040 board will also fit your camera. This board is a current product and is a special order item.
    Bob, that does not fit unless you have the 9" Kardan adapter board. I have both the 001040 and the adapter to make it work.

Not for sale.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 25-Mar-2016 at 11:33. Reason: not for sale