Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I take apart a Cambo monorail?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do I take apart a Cambo monorail?

I haven't been able to find any manuals online, complicated by the fact that nowhere on my camera is the model specified. I can see that there are allan-key screws at the base of the front and back frames, but they are far too stubborn to be turned and I do not want to strip them. Do they all follow a standard of construction, that would make knowing how to disassemble one Cambo monorail applicable to nearly all others?

I ask because I'd like to transport it in a suitcase but do not want to do so without disassembling it first.

Re: How do I take apart a Cambo monorail?

What are you trying to do? "Take apart" is a little vague.

Which model do you have? I don't think, for example, that the Super Cambo ("SC") and derivatives have much in common with, say, the Legend. To get an idea of which you have, go to www.cambo.com and look around. Come to think of it, your question is better addressed to Cambo than to the masses assembled here.

I have taken apart of Cambo monorail 4x5 and transported it in a luggage case. Just use your allan-key screw to loose and separate monorail from rest of the Cambo camera.

Diversey, if you're writing about the SC and derivatives no allen key is needed. Remove the bellows, run the standards to the ends of the rail, depress the stops (little buttons that stick out from the rail), and run the standards off the rail.

I wonder which Cambo the OP has and what its trying to accomplish.

Dan: You are right! I might have used an Allan-Key screw driver to separate front and rear fork shape frames from standards. Thanks for your correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Diversey, if you're writing about the SC and derivatives no allen key is needed. Remove the bellows, run the standards to the ends of the rail, depress the stops (little buttons that stick out from the rail), and run the standards off the rail.

I wonder which Cambo the OP has and what its trying to accomplish.

Separating the forks from the rail is exactly what I want to do, in order to keep them safe. The allan key screws are just so solid and stuck that I am not sure how to proceed without stripping them in the process.

I wonder myself which Cambo it is. I bought it used, so it doesn't have the original plates. No where on the forks or the frame in general does it state the model. I can say that the rail itself has a square face and rectangular profile. Other than that I am not sure how else to identify it.

[QUOTE=senderoaburrido;1298392I wonder myself which Cambo it is. I am not sure how to identify it.[/QUOTE]

Go to the following website(s) ORPHAN CAMERAS.COM --(and) The M. Butkus library of camera instruction manuals

Both Calumet and Cambo cameras are listed there together with other manufacturer's monorails. From the pictures you should/might identify yours??

I've a Calumet CC402 and to remove the rail - undo the locking screws and depress the tabs or rotate the focusing wheel and the rails comes off.

regards

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    Separating the forks from the rail is exactly what I want to do, in order to keep them safe. The allan key screws are just so solid and stuck that I am not sure how to proceed without stripping them in the process.

I wonder myself which Cambo it is. I bought it used, so it doesn't have the original plates. No where on the forks or the frame in general does it state the model. I can say that the rail itself has a square face and rectangular profile. Other than that I am not sure how else to identify it.
    Stop whining and read post 4.

Tony, the OP has a Cambo SC or derivative -- the square rail is diagnostic -- that is nothing like a Calumet CC40x.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Tony, the OP has a Cambo SC or derivative -- the square rail is diagnostic -- that is nothing like a Calumet CC40x.
    Agreed, but some features or reasons for problems are not camera specific - hence my input.
    regards
    Tony

The standards just roll of the end of the rail, but some models have spring-loaded buttons at the end of the rail that you need to press down to remove end caps or screws holding the caps, some have spring-loaded buttons, only, to press down, some have a screw in the way, and some the standards just roll off without anything in the way. The bottom line is that there is usually but not always something on the end of the rail to keep you from rolling off the end. The allen screws are to adjust play in the fit of the standard on the rail and you shouldn't have to touch them at all. Obviously you should remove the bellows, first. I have/have had three cameras and four rails, and I think they were all a bit different.

Also, you can remove the bellows, wind the standards to opposite ends of the rail, and turn them to be in line with the rail, if you just want flat storage, or you can bring them closer and turn them about 30 degrees short of in line, if that fits.

If you're thinking about doing this to pack for a trip, my warning is that the standards are very fragile, both off and on the camera. The vulnerable spot is the standard base where it holds the two upright poles. It's too flimsy there, and the poles will get bent out of alignment if you are not careful about your packing. That's the worst feature of an otherwise-excellent camera design. If everyone here measures his Cambo, the distance between the tops of all poles, front to back standard, then the same at the bottom, I bet none of the distances will be the same, because most get bent eventually. And they can be bent back into alignment way too easily. So whatever it is you're doing with it, be careful.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear