Thread: Light and small speedlights that don't squeal?

Light and small speedlights that don't squeal?

Hi, I've been using for some things a tiny little old school speedlight from the late 70's that was my dads, it's the 133A

Well batteries exploded and ruined it, I loved how small it was, just the right height not to be too talk but not too short either so good reach over a lens or other objects like a lens hood or compendium etc.

It seems to work really well with 4 pops for certain 8x10 work where I want that "flash" look. lol. It takes 2 batteries and is (was) relatively quiet.

Anyway I also had my dads 166A which was the next size up, takes 4 batteries, more power, heavier and bulkier (double the batteries) and it's squeal from recycling is really irritating, I have ultra high frequency hearing so lots of high noise already bothers me (like those stupid speakers they have outside of buildings to schew away the birds, I can't go near the buildings because the squeal is so initiating to me...

Anyway the nice 580EX II I have is totally silent. But it's way too much power and has too many options and is obviously huge and not what I want to be carrying around, another large object to fill up my case.

So I've looked at the new canon 270 EX II because they supposedly don't have the recycle noise either, but it's controlled by the camera, well I'm not actually using it digitally I'm using it on my LF cold shoe, I also am not sure it even has a test button.

And it doesn't have the handy ASA slider with f/stop choice and distance guide like the older flashes.

SO does anyone know of an older small 2 battery speedlight that doesn't squeal loudly? I know basically all but the modern speedlights squeal during recycling so I assume I'll have to put up with SOME noise but looking for options.

Thanks.

This is the old one I was using before the batteries exploded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451457559.319383.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	144156

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451457568.771736.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	144157

Here's the bulkier one I use now (temporarily)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451457584.970425.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	144158

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451457595.021482.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	144159

Re: Light and small speedlights that don't squeal?

That squeal is the high voltage power supply that is charging the capacitors. There were strobes that used 510V batteries (Honeywell 800, 880, etc. Braun 510, Vivitars) These did not squeal because battery voltage was the same as capacitor voltage.

Try Youngnuo. I'm not sure they have a smaller unit like you're seeking, but they are fully manual and they have built in radio transceivers which is key if you're ever going to do multiple light setups.

How about a Holga for 9 dollars off amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by TRCPhoto View Post
    Try Youngnuo. I'm not sure they have a smaller unit like you're seeking, but they are fully manual and they have built in radio transceivers which is key if you're ever going to do multiple light setups.
    Thanks I have PW's and Strobes for that kind of work. Appreciate the thought however.

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    How about a Holga for 9 dollars off amazon.
    I would, I've looked at those for sure but those flashes don't fit in a normal hot shoe, they have some kind of proprietary prong attachment.