Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norma 5x7 and 8x10 Dimensions

Norma 5x7 and 8x10 Dimensions

Have searched but not found this info

Can any owners of 5x7 and 8x10 Normas measure the width and height of the rear standards?

I know the depth is dependent on rail and rail clamp, will assume ~6" deep if stored on short extension (w front standard) or slightly less if the rail is removed as I've seen some do.

Vanannan

Re: Norma 5x7 and 8x10 Dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    Have searched but not found this info

Can any owners of 5x7 and 8x10 Normas measure the width and height of the rear standards?

I know the depth is dependent on rail and rail clamp, will assume ~6" deep if stored on short extension (w front standard) or slightly less if the rail is removed as I've seen some do.
    8X10 is 336mm wide X 390mm high, measurements include sticking out bits rail and rail clamp not included.

We're off to a good start, thank you Tony

For us Americans 336mm is 1/4 mile

Wait, think my math is off

Let's say 13 1/4"W x 15 3/8"H, or thereabouts

Quite compact

Here's another option, if you're interested. I recently measured my 8x10 Norma for storage when in a "folded" config, but not yet done that for the 5x7. Folded config involves detaching the standard bellows from the rear standard only, then folding the front standard (with bellows) down to the rail, then folding the rear standard down on top of the front standard. This requires the camera to be mounted on an 18" rail. Height measurements are then made while on the rail but w/o the rail clamp. Width measurements include tilt lock handle that sticks out a bit:

Length = 18-3/8"
    Width = 13.5"
    Height = 6.5"

If you don't want it folded so you can use a 12" rail, then the upright height of the rear standard (measuring from the bottom of its rail lock to its top) is 15-3/4".

Good info

You could fit both standards on a 6" rail I would think (without the clamp)

Which way do you think gives the best combination of portability and ease of setup/take down?

Stowing on the 6" rail would normally necessitate adding rail sections during setup (and removing rail sections during stow), which would take quite longer to setup for a shot than simply hooking the bellows to the front standard with the 18" rail already in place. I leave the rail clamp on the tripod head all the time, since setup is faster than mounting the rail clamp to the pan-tilt head (the rail clamp's sleeve stays on the rail). Dealing with the ~18" stowed length is really the only downside for speed of setup/take down. The 6" rail makes more sense with the 4x5 version, I think.

I see

And could the 5x7 be folded on the 12" rail?

The 5x7 does not fold at all on a 12" rail. And even on the 18" rail it's a VERY fussy task. But if you're willing, this is what's involved to make the smallest package:

Length = 18-3/8"
    Width = 10-3/4"
    Height = 7-3/4"

Detach bellows at front standard
    Max fall at rear standard
    Rise at front standard as needed
    Max forward front focus (rear focus at zero)
    Fold front standard down to the rail
    Fold rear standard w/ bellows attached onto the front standard
    Bellows MUST clear front tilt scale (barely)
    See what I mean? I'd opt to leave it intact on the 12" rail and hang it upside down, supported by the rail.

Doesn't sound easy

And if both standards are pushed together on a 6" rail?

I'm not sure what your objectives are or if you are at all concerned about setup/stow timelines.

Regarding 5x7 on 6" rail, both standards obviously can only be moved together if both the rail clamp and its sleeve are removed.
    The standards can then be moved together if no bellows or bag bellows is in place (standard bellows will not allow it). Btw, a 6" rail is only available as a (red-tip) rail extension (to which I believe only another extension rail can be attached), there are no 6" basic (black-tip) rails available. With the standards mounted on the 6" rail you'd be limited to lenses of ~150mm (wide angle on 5x7). Setup would at least require that the front standard be removed temporarily in order to re-install the rail clamp and its sleeve, as well as adding rail extension(s) to use lenses longer than 150. Also you should be aware that using the 6" rail extension as a basic rail means you'd likely not be able to use the rail caps from a basic rail (that would require Special Rail Cap 428.31), so there is danger of having unlocked standards accidentally slide off the ends of the 6" rail.

So, with either no bellows or bag bellows, standards together on 6" rail, rail clamp & sleeve removed, results in the following dimensions:
    Length = 7" (rail + red cap)
    Width = 10-3/4" (no bellows) or 11" (bag bellows)
    Height = 14"