Thread: Three Lens Board Adapters

Three Lens Board Adapters

Several years ago, I had both 8x10 and 11x14 cameras that took 6x6" lens boards. All my lenses were mounted on 6" boards, and all was good. The stars were all aligned.

Then, as life goes, I fell in love with a new (vintage) model camera, and managed to acquire both the 8x10 and 11x14 models, both from the 1890s. Wonderful vintage cameras, except the 8x10 takes a 4 and 1/4 lens board and the 11x14 requires a 5 and 1/2 board.

To make things even more interesting, my two longest lenses are APO Nikkor process lenses, 610mm and 760mm that absolutely will not ft on boards smaller than 6".

So... I set about making lens board adapters. Thus far, I have fabricated (1) a 4 1/4 to 5 1/2 adapter so that lenses I use on 8x10 can be used easily on 11x14 without having to remove and reinstall the lenses on different sized lens boards each time I want to use them on the different size camera, and (2) a 6" to 4 1/4 adapter to use the longer process lenses on the 8x10. I still need to make a 6" to 5 1/2 adapter, but more about that in a moment.

The third adapter I present here is for front-mounting a Packard shutter to use with the two large Nikkor process lenses. Previously, I had rear-mounted a 5 1/2" Packard on the 6" lens board, but with the new cameras this obviously was not going to fit inside the bellows and using a smaller Packard would likely produce vignetting.

In late September of this year I planned a trip to Grand Teton NP for fall color. Not having time to construct the 6" to 5 1/2" adapter, I thought to use all three of the adapters on hand in series. I wasn't sure this would work, as I had only thought previously to use the 6" to 4 1/4" adapter directly on to the 8x10 camera, but my goal was to use the 11x14, so....

The first picture below shows the 4 1/4 to 5 1/2 adapter (left) and the 6 to 4 1/4 adapter (right).

Second picture shows the rear of both.

Third and fourth show close-ups of the rear of the 6 to 4 1/4. This has to be built up (1/2 inch) to allow closure of the lens board lever on the front standard of the camera as well as to accommodate the rear of the lens.

Due to time constraints I finished the front of all these in a utilitarian black (flat on back, glossy on front for the smaller adapter). The tape in the last two pics is to help seal out any light leaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 021.JPG   022.JPG   025.JPG   026.JPG  

Re: Three Lens Board Adapters

Views of the front mount adapter for the Packard. The base is craft plywood. The inside of the rear is covered with adhesive felt to prevent light leaks around the front of the lens. Holes for screws on the sides were drilled and tapped. The screws secure the adapter against the lens barrel even if the camera is pointed down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 027.JPG   028.JPG   029.JPG  

Re: Three Lens Board Adapters

And here they all are on the 11x14 at Oxbow Bend. I'm happy to report the film came out great (here's a digital snap just to show what I was photographing with the 11x14).

This is not the most aesthetically pleasing adaptation, but in the nature of DIY projects, what counts (at least for me, in this instance) is the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013 (600 x 450).jpg   014 (600 x 450).jpg   012 (600 x 450).jpg