Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown Graphic Lensboards

Crown Graphic Lensboards

Hello All,

Just recently bought a 4x5 Crown Graphic from one of our forum members and I need another lensboard with Copal #0 hole drilled. Does anyone know where (or if) these are available? I've looked at the current offerings on eBay and everything looks pretty much like junk to me.

Thanks for any help provided.

Kind regards,
    Alan

Re: Crown Graphic Lensboards

There are often brand new ones listed on there, I just saw some the other day. The new ones are usually anodized black in color.

Junk? They look like used lensboards to me. Perfectly usable for your purposes if drilled for #0.

Just make sure you get a stamped metal board. There's at least one wooden board offered as for "Genuine Graflex Lens Board Anniversary Pre-Anniversary Crown Speed." The seller is confused, it is a wooden board not for Pacemaker Graphics.

Some have holes for mounting a solenoid. I have some like that, just cover the holes with darkroom tape.

If you must have a new board, www.skgrimes.com sells them and www.mpex.com used to sell them, may still.

I have some modern reproduction black boards for my 2x3 Graphics. They're thinner gauge metal than original issue. This sometimes causes problems with retaining rings that have a centering ridge; the ridge hits the back of the shutter before it contacts the board, leaving the shutter free to rotate on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Junk? They look like used lensboards to me. Perfectly usable for your purposes if drilled for #0.
    OK, maybe "junk" was a poor choice of word. I don't mind used, but I don't want something that looks like its been beat with a hammer. I was wondering what those extra holes were for... I saw some plastic ones from Italy, but not sure that's a good way to go, unless its carbon fiber like the ones Chamonix produces. Thanks for the suggestion of skgrimes...I forgot all about them.

Kind regards,
    Alan

I have several of the newer black boards from various vendors. These are made from much thinner stock than the originals or some of the earlier black clone boards that were sold by Midwest, etc. (some of those had their own problems). With the recent production boards, you cannot tighten the shutter jam nut of Copal 0,1 and 3 properly because the board is so thin, the jam nut ridge bottoms out on the shutter before the shutter is tight on the board. My solution is to work the jam nut on a flat sheet of medium sand paper until the ridge is about half the original height.

Heavystar on ebay regularly has brand new Pacemaker lens boards and they are cheap but excellent, you couldn't get better, they maybe a touch more now but 3 for about £20/$30 was very reasonable, I bought 2 sets all #0 but very easy to file out to #1 or larger.

I've never had a problem with thin board. You just turn the jam nut over if there's an issue !!!!!!!!

Ian

Dan, where does that seller claim those wooden boards fit Pacemaker Graphics?

Look for columbuscameragroup on eBay, they have lots for sale.
    They are listed as used but they look new, maybe NOS.

Thank you Ian and Martin. I found both the suggested dealers on eBay and have put 'em on my Watchlist.

Kind regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Heavystar on ebay regularly has brand new Pacemaker lens boards and they are cheap but excellent, you couldn't get better, they maybe a touch more now but 3 for about £20/$30 was very reasonable, I bought 2 sets all #0 but very easy to file out to #1 or larger.

I've never had a problem with thin board. You just turn the jam nut over if there's an issue !!!!!!!!

Ian
    If you turn the jam nut over, then the hole is over sized and lens centering will not be accurate.