Thread: First Roll of Color Through the Rolleichord - Medium Format Photos

First Roll of Color Through the Rolleichord - Medium Format Photos

I've read a lot and seen a lot of photos shot with Ektar 100, but haven't tried it myself, until now. I found a good deal on some 120 Ektar 100, so I bought it and loaded up my Rolleichord Vb. The photos were from last week up in Rocky Mountain National Park and from this morning during a morning snow storm. I home developed the roll in a Unicolor C41 kit.

Here are a few of the photos from the first roll. I REALLY need to start using this Rolleichord more often, I've only shot a few rolls of B&W out of it and this is my first color roll from it. The Rolleichord is no slouch.

From this morning

Rolleichord Vb - Ektar 100 - 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Rolleichord Vb - Ektar 100 - 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Rolleichord Vb - Ektar 100 - 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Rolleichord Vb - Ektar 100 - 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Re: First Roll of Color Through the Rolleichord - Medium Format Photos

And not a bad shot in the bunch - these are lovely. Scanning Ektar can be a challenge as it does tend to be very sensitive to errors in colour balance, but your use of it for washed out scenes such as snow is brilliant. It might work for foggy days too.

Glad that you like and are happy with your camera. But you might want to take a moment to look at the nameplate on the front of your camera, above the viewing lens, and note that you have a Rolleicord. There is no H in a Rolleicord.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Glad that you like and are happy with your camera. But you might want to take a moment to look at the nameplate on the front of your camera, above the viewing lens, and note that you have a Rolleicord. There is no H in a Rolleicord.
    But if he takes several notes, then he'll have a 'chord! I have owned a Rollei TLR since my intro to photography in the mid-70s. I still have to write it out sometimes to remember if it is 'e' before 'i'...

Once I got into LF, I tended to use the Rollei just for color (mostly Kodak Portra 160 VC, I think)...and for the last 18 years photographing my triplet boys in color as a parallel project to my photographing them with the 8x10 (B&W) in the landscape. I printed using an Ilford Cibrachrome processor set up for RA4.

I used a Rolleiflex 2.8 for most of it, but am using a 'cord now -- but have returned to B&W to produce platinum/palladium contact prints.

Finally found my old lens hood I can use with the 'cord (used it for my first Rollieflex 3.5 decades ago). Nice to have! The below images: Me out photographing with the Rolleicord, and then three others I have printed (they are scans of the prints).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaughn_FernCanyon.jpg   Egret1a.jpg   Oak.jpg   Bruce.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But if he takes several notes, then he'll have a 'chord! I have owned a Rollei TLR since my intro to photography in the mid-70s. I still have to write it out sometimes to remember if it is 'e' before 'i'...

Once I got into LF, I tended to use the Rollei just for color (mostly Kodak Portra 160 VC, I think)...and for the last 18 years photographing my triplet boys in color as a parallel project to my photographing them with the 8x10 (B&W) in the landscape. I printed using an Ilford Cibrachrome processor set up for RA4.

I used a Rolleiflex 2.8 for most of it, but am using a 'cord now -- but have returned to B&W to produce platinum/palladium contact prints.

Finally found my old lens hood I can use with the 'cord (used it for my first Rollieflex 3.5 decades ago). Nice to have! The below images: Me out photographing with the Rolleicord, and then three others I have printed (they are scans of the prints).
    It's easy to like them. I went to work for Rollei originally in 1972 and left them for the last time in 1996, when I was National Sales Manager for the Rollei distributor. It was a lot of fun and there are lots of great memories!

Thanks everyone, and yeah, I added an "h" by accident

Here's a few more from the Rolleicord. I'm trying a different software to see if I can get the color cast correct in the scans. These seem to be better, more true to life, I still have a lot to learn with scanning color negatives though.

Rolleicord Vb - Ektar 100 - 12 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Rolleicord Vb - Ektar 100 - 11 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Rolleicord Vb - Ektar 100 - 10 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

These photographs are excellent.

Nice. How did you scan them?

I want color photos of the CJ that took you there

Drew Wiley

My favorite is the "less is more" all off-white snow scene. It also showcases the neutrality of this film quite well.