Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deardorff V11

Re: Deardorff V11

You like it, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Now that I have seen the big boy in question, it is a very fine example and it exists now, not a fantasy.

You cannot take money or cameras with you.

Maybe it's an investment. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Greetings! Are you sure? I thought it was closed.
    deardorffcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    You like it, don't you?
    Yes, but out of my reach. Let's PM.
    sin eater

The relevant information from the posts I just deleted is that we have two threads in our "Advisories" section in which members report on their experiences with the new Deardorff company:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Barry-Cochran

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...orff-Part-Deux

Any further discussion of the issues raised should be within "Advisories", and is subject to its rules.

I'll toss in my 2 cents. Having had numerous Deardorffs over the years from a Baby, several V-5s including one of those beautiful Spanish Cedar models, and maybe half a dozen V-8s, it's obvious that I'm a Deardorff fan and of course the V-11, in my opinion, is the holy grail of vintage 11x14s that are fieldable. I've experienced two Deardorff V-11s, the first being sold to help pay for the second (you all know how that works). Prior to the Deardorff V-11 experience I had two other 11x14 cameras. The first I still have. It's an 11x14 Folmer-Schwing or something like that with all its original accessories--needs a new bellows so I've never used it its obviously but far from ideal in the field. I do think it would be a great studio type camera. The second, a much more modern wooden 11x14 from a well know large format camera maker, was an absolute disappointment--I'll not say the brand but, wow, what a piece of shite for about $4k. I unloaded that thing in short order. The V-11 is far far far superior to either of those cameras that I've experienced and I still have that second one. I can't say that I've experienced any of the newest models from other makers but from what I have experienced the V-11 is second to none. Heavy, yes, but I can't imagine wanting a "lightweight" 11x14 as that seems somewhat counterproductive. I'll say this: If it's a Deardorff V-11 that you really want then by all means get the V-11. Sure, I made the mistake of buying a less expensive 11x14 ($4000) an I regretted that until I finally sold it. The purchase of the V-11 that I now have, on the other hand, has NEVER been regretted. Get the Deardorff V-11
    and never look back!

An old thread, but since there seems to be some questions about weight, I just weighed one of my V8's & V11. With a lens board, here's what I found; weights in pounds.oz:

V8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	188636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	188637

V11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	188638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	188639

Some could be heavier/lighter, but this should give a ball park idea.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 10-Mar-2019 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    An old thread, but since there seems to be some questions about weight, I just weighed one of my V8's & V11. With a lens board, here's what I found; weights in pounds:

V8

V11

Some could be heavier/lighter, but this should give a ball park idea.
    Thanks. I would have guessed almost exactly double . . . and been wrong.

At one point I had a Wisner 14X17 and the V11 and they were almost identical it seemed to me in weight and ease of use.

Guess which one I kept. The 11X14 is upstairs in it's cozy soft case. The Wis is down the road somewhere.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949