Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff V11

Re: Deardorff V11

It seems $9400 is too much for a used V11. Will keep looking and consider other options. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    It seems $9400 is too much for a used V11. Will keep looking and consider other options. Thanks!
    If the lens was something very valuable, but it's not...
    Tin Can

Worth $500-600?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    If the lens was something very valuable, but it's not...

Is this for studio use? I have an extra century 11x14 that needs a home.

Not for studio. Looking for one I can do outdoor. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    Is this for studio use? I have an extra century 11x14 that needs a home.

Not for studio. Looking for one I can do outdoor. Thanks!
    Having used a 1940 Deardorff Marine V11 for the last four years there are a couple of comments I will add to the mix on this subject.

First of all the issue of weight that carries from smaller formats in what I call "backpack mode" does not transition well to the full bodied ULF sizes particularly when photographing in the field. A light weight 11x14, 12x20, 14x17 or 16x20 can be a nightmare when modest gusts of wind appear in short order. The sizes of the larger GG make for great sails and significant forces can be applied that can upset the apple cart in no time. Ditto for camera movement as long exposures become more of the norm in this arena. I love Canham cameras to death (I have an 8x10 and an 8x20 wood) but their light weight in the larger ULF formats brings with it camera flexibility and the propensity of being blown over on the tripod in no time. Although my V11 has the heavy metal handle and is a bit over 30#, when I get it on the broad face of the Majestic tripod head it is just marvelous to use. Never worried about that beast blowing over in what I call normal outdoor windy conditions and I have never lost a negative to camera movement when making longer exposures. I did find the critical film registration of the Fidelity Medical Cassettes and the S&S holders off sufficiently to necessitate two GG backs (one original Deardorff and one Ritter made) that accommodate both holders easily. When it is all said and done it is about producing images and the Deardorff V11 is a marvelous example that was designed for the application perfectly. My camera does not have a front swing and Barry at Deardorff sold me a newer center frame with a swing standard along with a new rail and I can swap out the old front standard with the original without altering it in any way. I was amazed at how things have not changed. A good used example is worth every penny of $6,000 because there are only so many out there and while they weight what they need to for a reason IMHO, they are a sheer joy to use in the field. If the weight bothers you, get a small light camera and have some fun. It is really not that bad as I have carried my V11 considerable distances even if it means a couple of trips to the truck because the marvel of a well executed 11x14 contact print is addictive.

Worth $500-600?
    Can't tell what it's worth from here.

But it's not worth $3500.
    Tin Can

You can buy a new V11 direct from the current Deardorff manufacturer for $6750 although it doesn't include a lens. 3 month build time.

Now that I have seen the big boy in question, it is a very fine example and it exists now, not a fantasy.

You cannot take money or cameras with you.

Maybe it's an investment. Maybe.
    Tin Can

Greetings! Are you sure? I thought it was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by dentkimterry View Post
    You can buy a new V11 direct from the current Deardorff manufacturer for $6750 although it doesn't include a lens. 3 month build time.