Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with Atomic-X (sheet film used for the negative in New55)?

Re: Experience with Atomic-X (sheet film used for the negative in New55)?

Quote Originally Posted by BobCrowley View Post
    No we have not. It is a custom order from the factory we said, and it is specific to New55 instant. Since it is similar (in speed, processing and look) to a famous Kodak emulsion, we playfully named it Atomic-X and offered some at a bargain price. To process this emulsion, place the lever in the P position and withdraw the sleeve from the holder. Then wait the time mentioned on the box. Like old T55, the negative could be processed separately, but the parameters are up to you.
    Will you be selling more of this film as a stand alone? (The Atomic-X) good price and I missed a chance to snag some.

Also, have you considered or will you at some point make an 8x10 version in conjunction I assume with the impossible 8x10? Since I think they have the machine for that? And will you offer this film in 8x10 size as a stand alone?

Thanks Bob

I'd like to do that and add other sizes and emulsions too, over time. There are so many potential improvements to the quality and cost of projection-plane imaging materials that have never been addressed that it is really amazing, at least to me. The Impossible 8x10 machine is quite different than anything we use so I don't know about that. Presumably if we get over the severe coating difficulties we've had and get out of the "hand coat" era, there will be much more we can do. Right now we are totally focused on becoming basic in receiver coating, which could be followed b y emulsion coating. We never expected to do those things at all, yet we are. There are really three "technical people" and only one full time on staff, so we have to stay focused. Another area I have directed efforts and resources to is teaching newcomers how to use LF in the context of New55's areas. That is important too. One area that seems well covered (to say the least!) are discussions about developers and developing times. The number of possible ways are mind boggling, and not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I got an email back from them about their recommendations- they said "You can take development times for Tri-X as a guideline for developing AtomicX. At the moment we dont have specific times for AtomicX. Please let us know what your results are. You will help us and the film community with this information".
    Shows us their focus is film machinery and not outcomes. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Shows us their focus is film machinery and not outcomes. Pathetic.
    Yes, we are totally focused on the new industrial capacity to make New55 instant film. That has been and will be our focus.It definitely includes machines. One would hope that this group knows how to process ordinary black and white film. Also please consider buying our monobath, R5, available here. http://www.new55.net which is good for processing most black and white films.

Yes, we are totally focused on the new industrial capacity to make New55 instant film. That has been and will be our focus.It definitely includes machines. One would hope that this group knows how to process ordinary black and white film. Also please consider buying our monobath, R5, available here. http://www.new55.net which is good for processing most black and white films.
    +1. Keep it up, Bob. You guys are doing a great job. Your commitment, ingenuity, and the transparent manner in which you've included the photo community in the ups and downs of the New55 manufacturing process have been inspiring.

My New55 arrived today! The sleeves are exquisite.

Another +1. Used R3 w/my MF. Just ordered R5. New to LF and can use all suggestions your group can provide.

Electron and ion microscopist

On a similar topic.

In the R5 Monobath user guides it is written "Avoid pouring the warmed monobath into a cold tank...".

What do you think is the best way to heat the tank (or, I guess, cool the tank if one lives in a hot climate). Should one prior to monobath pour 24C water into the tank, leave for half a minute or so, to bring both film and tank to the right temperature? Or should one rather pour 24C water over the tank and not get the film wet?

Or, what do you recommend?