Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is "microcontrast"?

Drew Wiley

Re: What is "microcontrast"?

I sure as hell wouldn't call something that can be visibly identified with your eyes and deliberately altered by known technique merely subjective. For example, I
    came up with a very nice set of prints last week of a particular neg, having excellent tonal detail all the way from the highlights into the shadows, and still with
    bold overall contrast; yet I still intend to reprint it using a subtle unsharp mask to tweak microcontrast ever so slightly. It's such a subtle change that a casual viewer might not even notice it under glass. But I can tell the difference. I want what I want. And no, using this methodology, I am NOT robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'm having my cake and eating it too. However, I have seen cases of just too heavy a hand using masking which became conspicuous and counterproductive. Edge effect can also be distinctly enhanced this way, but overdone, it will resemble that heavy-handed digital equivalent we see all too often.

Drew, the point is that concerning negative development, total contrast, local contrast and micro contrast all move in the same direction. Thereafter (in printing) there are things we can do. Local exposure adjustments (burn/dodge) at mixed contrasts can change local contrast in relation to total contrast, and unsharp masks can alter micro contrast in relation to total contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Drew, the point is that concerning negative development, total contrast, local contrast and micro contrast all move in the same direction. Thereafter (in printing) there are things we can do. Local exposure adjustments (burn/dodge) at mixed contrasts can change local contrast in relation to total contrast, and unsharp masks can alter micro contrast in relation to total contrast.
    Not with all developers, over development (and over exposure) can kill micro contrast and of course the choice of developer is critical as is agitation and dilution to get the best micro-contrast.

Ian

Something that people who worry more about writing about pictures than actually making pictures worry about. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Something that people who worry more about writing about pictures than actually making pictures worry about. L
    Stone??

Drew Wiley

Michael, masking can do all kinds of things. You can target just part of the overall contrast range if you wish. I don't view it as a silver bullet, but as a very valuable tool set when needed. For example, I once routinely overdeveloped 8x10 HP5 negs "thick negative" style, in order to accentuate edge effect and expand midtone contrast. But even with the best VC papers, I was masking dependent to rein in everything. But the net result was often worth it. Yet generally, it's simpler
    for me just to use a film with a straighter line like TMY or formerly, Bergger 200. I often never know until I print something, look at it a week or so, and decide
    whether yet another tweak would benefit or not. Like many other people, I like to print certain negs several different ways, and might like all of them, yet for different reasons. I seldom make two prints exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I sure as hell wouldn't call something that can be visibly identified with your eyes and deliberately altered by known technique merely subjective.
    Drew, the two posted images are "subjective" when compared with one another. The fact that no one has mentioned a Reduced Agitation technique in concert with a Pyro based developer really limits the discussion. There are so few who really give the technique any credence when in reality in the hands of a negative maker who understands the power of Reduced Agitation techniques can match most any negative masking technique while preserving the subtlety of organic transition of tone. The actual characteristic curve of the film is changed organically rather than artificially via secondary masking. Without question this subtlety transitions to the print yet still leaves all Split Contrast printing techniques at the disposal of the maker.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

You have to start with some parameters held constant. All other things being equal (film size, exposure, emulsion, developer, agitation frequency, magnification), as total contrast is increased/decreased, local and micro contrast will follow. However changing those variables can have effects on the relationship between large-scale and "micro" contrast. A hypothetical example for a given film (without getting into specific developer details):

Starting point: Development to normal contrast index in a general purpose solvent developer, with normal agitation

Scenarios for lower target contrast index relative to starting scenario:

1) Same as above, with shortened development time: In comparison to the starting point scenario, total contrast, local contrast and micro contrast will all be lower

2) Change to low-sulfite/dilute developer with minimal agitation: In comparison to the starting point scenario total and local contrast will be lower, but micro contrast might be maintained or possibly increased

These are gross generalizations meant as an illustrative example. Also note the discussion has been limited to contrast effects.

@Drew: There are many different types of masks as you know. I'm referring here only to "classic" unsharp masks, which are normally designed to reduce contrast at all scales higher than "micro", allowing the negative to be printed at higher contrast, thus boosting micro/edge contrast relative to total and local contrast. This can enhance the overall subjective sense of crispness and delineation of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Drew, the two posted images are "subjective" when compared with one another. The fact that no one has mentioned a Reduced Agitation technique in concert with a Pyro based developer really limits the discussion. There are so few who really give the technique any credence when in reality in the hands of a negative maker who understands the power of Reduced Agitation techniques can match most any negative masking technique while preserving the subtlety of organic transition of tone. The actual characteristic curve of the film is changed organically rather than artificially via secondary masking. Without question this subtlety transitions to the print yet still leaves all Split Contrast printing techniques at the disposal of the maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Some of us put this into practice making pictures, I don't take it as far as Steve Sherman but I respect his techniques. So writing in our cases comes from experience not theory.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    You have to start with some parameters held constant. All other things being equal (film size, exposure, emulsion, developer, agitation frequency, magnification), as total contrast is increased/decreased, local and micro contrast will follow. However changing those variables can have effects on the relationship between large-scale and "micro" contrast. A hypothetical example for a given film (without getting into specific developer details):

Starting point: Development to normal contrast index in a general purpose solvent developer, with normal agitation

Scenarios for lower target contrast index relative to starting scenario:

1) Same as above, with shortened development time: In comparison to the starting point scenario, total contrast, local contrast and micro contrast will all be lower

2) Change to low-sulfite/dilute developer with minimal agitation: In comparison to the starting point scenario total and local contrast will be lower, but micro contrast might be maintained or possibly increased

These are gross generalizations meant as an illustrative example. Also note the discussion has been limited to contrast effects.

@Drew: There are many different types of masks as you know. I'm referring here only to "classic" unsharp masks, which are normally designed to reduce contrast at all scales higher than "micro", allowing the negative to be printed at higher contrast, thus boosting micro/edge contrast relative to total and local contrast. This can enhance the overall subjective sense of crispness and delineation of detail.
    Missing from your list is the tanning effects of some developing agents which can increase the micro contrast in areas of very fine detail,

There's also the effects of Iodide in the film or formerly in some high acutance developers, This may explain why Rodinal in particular gives very good micro-contrast with T0grain and similar films. It falls into your low sulphite, dilute category.

Ian