Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tripod Recomendation

Re: Tripod Recomendation

For a Deardorff, I'd use what Michael suggests, a series 5 Gitzo. If you want to spend more money, get a Ries head. Sinar heads are terrific....with Sinar cameras, but aren't ideal for 8x10 field cameras.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use a Reis with my V8 'dorff. No complaints. Besides, Giselle likes it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221da98e5a828010a46791b6393e38b4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	149489
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I scored a old wooden military tripod a few months ago and it works great for 8x10.
    Might be a cheaper option for those wanting a wooden tripod:

It only has spiked feet but the head feels sturdy enough to park a car on it.

It only has spiked feet but the head feels sturdy enough to park a car on it.
    Excellent. I'll bet those spikes are screwed in an turn right out. Probably 5/16" or 3/8". I just put a washer and round headed screw in place.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I use a Reis with my V8 'dorff. No complaints. Besides, Giselle likes it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221da98e5a828010a46791b6393e38b4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	149489
    Nice looking bipod...

The only thing better than a Ries tripod with Ries double tilt head is a bigger Ries tripod with a bigger Ries double tilt head. I own both J100 and A100 Ries tripods with double tilt heads. If I have to carry it any distance at all I carry the J100. Otherwise I prefer the A100. I shoot a Wehman 8x10.

That's how I feel about Ries. The only reason that I see to go with another brand is if you can't carry a Ries and need a Carbon fiber tripod. Of course then you will probably be shooting a feather weight 4x5 or a Mamiya 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I just ordered one!
    Just picked up mine at the post office yesterday, the CT-3371. It's huge, fatlegged, initially it feels heavy for a CF tripod and the baseplate has the size of an aircraftcarrier. Love it Can't wait to get to use it. Im confident it will support anything Im likely to throw at it (for now not heavier than my Norma 5X7")
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

I just ordered a couple of CT-3472 tripods to see how they stack up against other tripods.
    What interested me was the thick 37mm tubes; what's less interesting is Feisol's 3-year warranty.
    My experiences with Chinese-made tripods has been positive in the short-term, but quite negative after a year or so of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    My experiences with Chinese-made tripods has been positive in the short-term, but quite negative after a year or so of ownership.
    Ari,

Is it a matter of appearance, or of damage causing actual or potential failures? If failures, are they related to the carbon fibre or the fittings?

I heard from someone else that carbon fibre tripod do not react well to rough handling (i.e. impact damage), and that is not surprising when comparing their structure to metal or wood. The individual's comment was around the use of assistants' handling of the equipment, so seeing that I am the only one handling my equipment I do not see my having that risk to deal with.

Anyone else have any insights to the durability of carbon fibre tripods and equipment?

Thanks,

Len

Hi Len,
    No, not the CF, but the fittings.
    I had an Induro way back, before I had FLM, and the first thing to come off was the rubber on the twist locks. Then the centre post, once I reversed it, never settled back in properly. Same for a leg section that suddenly came off. The last straw was the tripod head platform, which stopped tightening the head properly, leaving a slight wobble.
    All little things, but together they made for an unpleasant experience. And it all happened in less than a year.
    From what I gather, people seem to be more pleased with Feisol's overall quality, so I thought it was worth a look. But I'd never give up my own tripod, nor stop recommending it to others.

As far as CF is concerned, I've had my FLM for just over 3 years, and it works as new. Through wind, salt, rain and snow, the CF material has held up perfectly, needing only a wipe-down after use in especially adverse conditions. I've certainly never had trouble with the fittings after all this time.

I don't baby the tripod either; I don't use a protective case, and the tripod gets tossed around a lot in the car, it's usually in the trunk or behind a seat on the floor.
    Overall, I'm not worried a bit about the CF holding up over time, certainly not worried about it within the 10-year warranty period.