View Poll Results: How many sheets of 4x5 film do you typically processes at a time?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 or 2

11 9.57%
  • 3 or 4

35 30.43%
  • 5 or 6

40 34.78%
  • 7 or 8

3 2.61%
  • more than 8

26 22.61%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

Re: New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

I like the design. But I liked the prototype that was just the small tank better, without the pour spout and agitator rod. Also....I'd definitely buy one in 5x7.

I also would prefer not to have a plunger, I do love this for travel, or if you're on site and want to check the shot before shooting more, could be handy, but inversion really would be preferred. There's a reason people moved away from the swizzle stick, the uneven surge marks.

That said, the price is fair. I can't back through PayPal?

I like the idea but I don't really need a new tank.

I'm concerned about the difference in turbulence vinny mentioned. Looking at the close-up video, it does look like the bottom half of the tank is getting much more agitation. I could be wrong.

Ultimately, I usually process 6 or 12 sheets at a time, so while the concept of a small tank is nice, I wouldn't use it as much as the HP Combiplan tank. Kudos for making it though, and it wouldn't hurt to have a new tank available on the market for new 4x5 shooters, if it's commercially viable.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've backed it (my first ever Kickstarter; had to sign up), even though I'm pretty happy with trays for now, and prefer processing 8 or 10 at a time. But at the price it is a no-brainer and I'm happy to be a backer.

That looks pretty cool. I could take something like that with me to Japan to develop my film... as long as it develops film evenly, though.

I'll second Jim Noel's question about solutions getting to the base side of the film.

Also, the details of the film holder design aren't clear from the video, but from what I see I'd be concerned about edge effects from a combination of the holder design and the flow pattern.

Getting even development is always the hard part in sheet film processing, particularly in small-box processor designs like this. Although I use Jobo Expert drums on a Jobo processor, I would potentially purchase one of these to have a simpler, more compact alternative available for some situations. But I'm a skeptic about development evenness until I've seen evidence that the device can deliver even results reliably and without requiring special voodoo in handling.

I'm rather interested in this, but I'm also rather curious about how even the agitation method is. Any chance of seeing some grid and smooth gradient exposures processed with the plunger method?

Regarding the back of the film in the holders, it would probably make sense to have cut-outs there to facilitate fluid flow. Regarding uneven development, I tend to doubt it, but at a minimum the tanks could be used for stand processing, I think. Anyway, its a small gamble for me, and worth it if it pays off.

I think the idea of inserting the holders in landscape rather than portrait orientation makes sense. Also think a 5x7 would be useful in th elong run, and if it works you could even do 8x10!

I like the idea and considered backing it, but was wondering about the evenness of development. Any chance of posting an update to show several examples of processed film?

Yea it worries me that no sample of sheets developed using the system are shown.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams