Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 600mm F12 T

Huub

Fujinon 600mm F12 T

When doing landscapes every now and then i find the 360mm TeleXenar to short and i feel i could use a bit more telelens. So i have been looking around and i think the Fujinon 600 f12 T could do the job pretty nicely. But what keeps me back from buying one is the idea that the lens is to heavy for the camera i am using: a Shen Hao HZX-IIA. A second consideration is the effect of wind and camera shake: i know this is an issue in smaller formats when using long lenses, but i have no idea how this works out in larger format.

Could any of you share some experiences with this lens on wooden folders?

And i see this ended up in the wrong forum. Can this be placed under lenses, please?

Re: Fujinon 600mm F12 T

Moved!

Telephoto designs should actually help with wind because you would be using less bellows compared to a regular design. However, in general, the longer the lens (and tele designs tend to be used for long lenses), the more bellows are racked out. If you need the long lens rendition, there is not much option but to deal with this. Umbrellas, your body, black cloth etc. can do a good job of shielding the bellows and reducing vibration from the wind.

Whether your camera is capable of dealing with big and heavy lenses is a different issue. One option is to see if there is some way to support the front standard with a monopod or something and reduce the strain on the camera - there is a monopod (I think made by Manfrotto) that can be clamped to the tripod leg. It can be done but you have to decide if the solutions interfere with your ability to work - for e.g., with the monopod, you have to frame and compose and then adjust the monopod to take the weight of the front standard and there is often some play in the mechanisms and you have to develop a feel for it, so that you get some weight transfer without actually moving or flexing the front standard so that framing changes slightly etc. . I have purchased some weird sort of clamp (sorry don't remember the name) that clamps to the bed of the camera at one end and supports the front standard at the other as a way of transferring some of the weight from the front standard to the bed. This works, although if weight is not an issue, I still prefer the monopod to transfer the weight to the tripod, rather than the camera bed.

I have used the Nikkor 800mm and 1200mm tele lenses, as well as 30" Artars. You do have to be sensitive to wind, vibration and the added strain on the camera but as long as you keep the issues in mind and find solutions, you can certainly use them.

The Fuji is not too bad as far as the issues you've mentioned. I've used it on a 5x8 Chamonix and it did fine - you just have to be careful. I don't know about the specific model you are using but if it is anything like the 5x8, I think it will handle the weight OK, although some kind of support for the front standard will always help, even with more beefy designs. Wait for wind and vibration to die down. Wait for a while after touching the camera to let movement die down before exposing the film.

Cheers, DJ

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay View Post
    there is a monopod (I think made by Manfrotto) that can be clamped to the tripod leg. It can be done but you have to decide if the solutions interfere with your ability to work - for e.g., with the monopod, you have to frame and compose and then adjust the monopod to take the weight of the front standard and there is often some play in the mechanisms and you have to develop a feel for it, so that you get some weight transfer without actually moving or flexing the front standard so that framing changes slightly etc.
    If you're thinking of Manfrotto's Magic Arm, here http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/play...lidori-257129/ are two in use more or less as you described. I think he has Manfrotto 244N Variable Friction Magic Arms. I use one.

Huub, according to http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/fujinon_1.html the 600 Fuji tele weighs less than 1 kg. I doubt you'll have terrible problems with it on a Shen Hao. If it is too heavy for y'r Shen, think about getting a monorail. I have a 900/10 Apo Saphir that weighs 4 kg. I use it on a Cambo, support it with a mutilated front standard. I think that similar crutches can be made for any monorail camera.

I have the Fujinon 600mm T and have used it on my two wooden field cameras without issue -- except that the 600mm needs more extension than my cameras had. I solved that with an extension cone. I have not had trouble with the wind, but if it's very windy I'm usually not shooting. Take a look at my approach at www.subclub.org/fujinon/mygear.htm

Drew Wiley

That is indeed a lot of weight and long torque vector for the front standard of a camera like that. Can you compromise with something nice and light like a Fuji 450C (non-telephoto, so you do need the full bellows draw for it).

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I have the Fujinon 600mm T and have used it on my two wooden field cameras without issue -- except that the 600mm needs more extension than my cameras had. I solved that with an extension cone. I have not had trouble with the wind, but if it's very windy I'm usually not shooting. Take a look at my approach at www.subclub.org/fujinon/mygear.htm
    I can't get to that link. It just times out.

In fact, www.subclub.org times out too: server not found.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I can't get to that link. It just times out.

In fact, www.subclub.org times out too: server not found.
    Ken the links work fine from my iPhone via my wifi and Comcast high speed internet. Don't you just love the internet.

Roger

Huub

I am very much aware that my camera will need some kind of tophat construction to be able to use the 600 telelens, as the camera has only about 35 cm of bellows extension. What keeps me back is the stress the 980 gram lens will put on the camera in combination with the additional weight in my backpack.

What could be a solution is putting a monopod under the tophat for extra stability. But thanks everyone for the input.

I owned that camera. I wouldn't think a lens like that or anything heavy on a tophat on it. The monopod idea sound okay but would be highly inconvienent and put a lot of stress on the little front standard braces. A Camera like the chamonix 45n-2 would be much better suited.