Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anybody recognize this place (probably California)?

Re: anybody recognize this place (probably California)?

You might be right about I 5 not being built, hmm
    Even if I-5 was not there, interstate highways often follow existing highways with minor re-routes here and there. Google Earth is a handy way to check photo locations, if you have some idea where to start. I use it a lot to find locations for historic photos .

Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    My guess is Klamath Lake, in Southern Oregon along Hwy 97.
    My first thought also.

Drew Wiley

Two different spots, yet likely on the same drive. The first is of soggy salt flats in Nevada - don't know the exact name of the valley, but it's about an hour east
    of Bridgeport. Went right past there earlier this year. The second shot is of Mono Lake from the road on the north side.

Drew Wiley

.... what made me think the first shot wasn't of Shasta from the Klamath road is that the extensive row of hills to the left looks distinctly granitic, basin and range
    style, not volcanic like in the southern Cascades. I'm thinking Humboldt Peak in the background. It's pretty high and often snow covered in winter. You've probably
    seen in frequently from a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post
    ...Google Earth is a handy way to check photo locations...
    I used Google Earth and found a shot posted that was complete with power lines. ID'd as Upper Klamath Lake from E. shoreline on Hwy 97 with Mt Shasta in background.

Here's a shot from the same direction in similar snow concitions that mimics the shape of the mtn shown in OP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mt. Shasta.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	143663

My guess is that the first photo was taken on Hwy 97 about 16 miles North of Klamath Falls, about 1 mile South of Modoc Point. The view is almost due East across Upper Klamath Lake ... with Mt. McLaughlin being the snow-capped peak on the right.

Click to Enlarge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K Lake.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	143668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall1962-California-lake-01.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	143669
    Screen Capture from Google Earth next to OP's Original Photo

Drew Wiley

You could sure be right. I might have mistaken some snow patches on the lower hills for quartzite outcrops. Yet a string of power lines also parallels the road I
    had in mind in Nevada, right at the edge of the sem-dry lakebed, and the shape of Humboldt Peak (?) from there in the background does resemble Mt McLauglin. I've had situations where I'm handling some ole Ambrotype or tintype taken with a miserably distorted lens, then going out trying to identify the exact location. It's fun. But the other photo is unquestionably Mono Lk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    My guess is that the first photo was taken on Hwy 97 about 16 miles North of Klamath Falls, about 1 mile South of Modoc Point. The view is almost due East across Upper Klamath Lake ... with Mt. McLaughlin being the snow-capped peak on the right.
    Jim,
    I have to agree with you about the peak. It is definitely Mt. McLoughlin (or McLaughlin?, I've found it spelled both ways), as seen looking west across the lake. Shasta is far too distant, looking south, to be seen in the OP photo which is likely captured with a wide angle lens.

Jerry ... you're right ... the correct spelling is McLoughlin.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Jim Graves.

My parents took a circuitous route from south Louisiana (where my parents got married and were living) up through Colorado (my Dad photographed Royal Gorge and Loveland Pass among other places), through a part of rural Utah and into New Mexico to Carlsbad Caverns (my Dad liked to explore caves when he was in the Army back in the late 50s), then over to Arizona to see the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon, and Prescott Valley. then up through China Lake to Ridgecrest where my Dad's brother was living. Then on up the north California and Oregon coast, and finally cut east to Salem, Oregon where his parents lived. My brother and sister and I have the photographs my Dad took of all these places. Unfortunately, my Dad was not much for documenting his photos, and my parents passed away many years ago. And as I said he had about 7 photos like the above 2 with no notes on the slide sleeve.

My sister says that our parents drove through Yosemite National Park on the way from Ridgecrest to the north California coast, so I suspected at least 1 of these photos was Mono Lake. So thanks for the confirmation about that.

I appreciate everybody's help. My parents, especially my Dad, were not much for talking about themselves or the past. So seeing these photos and knowing where they were taken helps me get to know my parents better.

Daniel