Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca-style QR plate for Linhof Technikardan

Arca-style QR plate for Linhof Technikardan

Last time I bought a Linhof Technikardan 45S, it came with the dedicated RRS quick release plate. The plate was perfect, which makes sense since it was made for the camera, but as far as I know it's no longer manufactured.

I regretted selling the camera, so I just bought a new (used) TK45S. I'm looking for an RRS plate, but in case I can't find one, does anyone have any recommendations for a long plate that works with the TK?

I thought Novoflex made long plates, but the longest one I can find for sale is the QPL 4. It seems like it might work but I'd like to be sure. Does anyone have experience with that plate or others for the TK?

I really prefer to use 3/8 screws.

Re: Arca-style QR plate for Linhof Technikardan

Hi Noah,
    I can get you a 70mm FLM plate, it will work with Arca clamps and has both 1/4" and 3/8" screws (which you can remove as needed).
    The 70mm plate is what I used on my TK-45s: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ase_plate.html
    To get the "stop" function of the RRS plate, I'd suggest the QRP Stop: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._qrp_stop.html
    Send me a PM or email if you'd like more information.

Thanks Ari. I'd love to find something that would let me use both tripod sockets on the TK45S. Are any of the FLM plates long enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Last time I bought a Linhof Technikardan 45S, it came with the dedicated RRS quick release plate. The plate was perfect, which makes sense since it was made for the camera, but as far as I know it's no longer manufactured.

I regretted selling the camera, so I just bought a new (used) TK45S. I'm looking for an RRS plate, but in case I can't find one, does anyone have any recommendations for a long plate that works with the TK?

I thought Novoflex made long plates, but the longest one I can find for sale is the QPL 4. It seems like it might work but I'd like to be sure. Does anyone have experience with that plate or others for the TK?

I really prefer to use 3/8 screws.
    Noah, Novoflex makes plates up to 18" long. Check out their Other Arca type plates. They are not all QPL labeled.

Thanks Bob. Is there one you recommend? I can find the QPL 4 at 7 inches and the QPL 270 at around ten inches, but nothing in between. Am I missing more options?

I don't do macro or long-lens work and I don't want the plate to be longer than the base of the TK. Which from what I remember is about 8.5 inches. Is that correct? My new camera is still in transit so I can't measure.

Will the holes on the QPL 4 line up ok? It's probably long enough.

Thanks Ari. I'd love to find something that would let me use both tripod sockets on the TK45S. Are any of the FLM plates long enough?
    FLM also makes 130mm and 160mm QR plates; I forget the distance between the two sockets, you'd have to measure to be certain, but I'm pretty sure one of those plates would work.

Thanks Bob. Is there one you recommend? I can find the QPL 4 at 7 inches and the QPL 270 at around ten inches, but nothing in between. Am I missing more options?

I don't do macro or long-lens work and I don't want the plate to be longer than the base of the TK. Which from what I remember is about 8.5 inches. Is that correct? My new camera is still in transit so I can't measure.

Will the holes on the QPL 4 line up ok? It's probably long enough.
    There are also plates from Novoflex used with their VR systems that are longer then the 4 and shorter then the 270. We usually supplied the 4 or the longest Giotto's plate as it really isn't necessary to use both holes on the TK if you have a plate that mounts tightly.

A little 'resurrection' of a post here.

I'm in the same boat as Noah is/was. I'm in search of a long plate, preferably one that is a bit wider than most seem to be(anwhere from 1.25-1.6" or so). I'm looking for an arca plate that is both long enough, but also wide enough, to cover almost the entire base of the camera. This is so I can center the weight of the camera directly over the head, for maximum stability.

Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, I might see about designing up a custom plate. If anyone else might be interested in one similar to what I'm talking about, please contact me via PM.

thx,
    Dan

The specs for the camera size say 5" x 8.5" x 10". The base rail is probably 8.5" long. I would think with metal to metal contact the standard 1.5" wide rail would be wide enough.

RRS has a MPR 192 rail which is probably 1.5" wide (standard clamp opening) and has slots for 1/4" screws.

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/ has rails in three different thicknesses but I believe they all use 1/4" screws.

Good luck, jeff

Funny, I need a plate for my new camera with the 3/8" thread, so the FLM 130 looks perfect. Timely post :-)

Also, someone gifted me with a Arca style plate a few years ago that I have never seen anything like it since. It is long rail but the base is more like a large square rather than just a rail the width of the Arca QR slot. It's been working great on the Chamonix