Thread: Flash socket on a Compound shutter

Flash socket on a Compound shutter

I have a Schneider 240mm f4.5 Xenar lens on a Compound shutter. Does anyone know if I can plug modern strobes on the PC socket?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_27.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	143327

Thanks,

D

Re: Flash socket on a Compound shutter

Plug in, yes, sync properly, no. To check plug it in, set it to 4.5. Point it and the flash to a wall. Fire the shutter. If you see a clear, round light circle it is synced. If you only see part of the circle illuminated it is M synch. You can keep trying at different shutter speeds to see if it does synch at some speed.

Bob is probably right. Chances are good that it will synch at slower than 1/20.

Thanks for clearing that up. I might be able to play with the timing a little using pocket wizards, but hardly worth it since the max speed is only 1/75s anyways.

Cheers,

mine seem to work okay with strobes

Most added on flash sync is X sync, because M required delay time from when the bulb was tripped (and reached peak output), and then the shutter opened... So that means that a little clockwork delay was needed... Added X sync was usually from a contact that touched the shutter blade lever inside when the shutter reached open...

Hook it up to a strobe, and look through the shutter as it fires (aim strobe at a wall, or white card)... If you get blinded, it's in sync... (You might see a slight shape of the shutter blades burned into your retinas and a little dimmer if out of sync...) But sometimes the old added contacts need to be tweaked on old shutters...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Most added on flash sync is X sync, because M required delay time from when the bulb was tripped (and reached peak output), and then the shutter opened... So that means that a little clockwork delay was needed... Added X sync was usually from a contact that touched the shutter blade lever inside when the shutter reached open...

Hook it up to a strobe, and look through the shutter as it fires (aim strobe at a wall, or white card)... If you get blinded, it's in sync... (You might see a slight shape of the shutter blades burned into your retinas and a little dimmer if out of sync...) But sometimes the old added contacts need to be tweaked on old shutters...

Steve K
    See 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    See 2
    Sorry Bob, shoulda tipped my hat to you on the way in, to your excellent advice... I just tried to expand it a little...

Just trying to keep it all alive... Happy Holidays!!!

Steve K

Thanks again for the advice. Will try it shortly and post the results for the archives