Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is the softest cable release?

Re: Which is the softest cable release?

Not sure what the issue is in the OP's post. Are you looking for one with the least amount of required pressure at the hand (for physiology issues), or the one that has the least amount of pressure applied at the shutter (to avoid movement or possibly shutter damage)? Also, are you seeking a maximum throw distance at the lens of 5mm and no more? For induced movement I'm with Jon Shiu as far as a release that has no induced movement to the front standard.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Thanks for all the responses, guys.
    I am helping my friend, who has arthritic hands. He cannot use the releases I have - takes too much effort.
    As I said, I have a decent collection of cable releases. The Horsemans are heavy-duty, and need the greatest amount of pressure and have the longest throw. One unbranded metal sheathed cable needs the least pressure. These are my observations:

1. Some cables need a substantially long travel required to bring the plunger into initial contact with the shutter release lever. I'd like to minimize this.
    2. The cable needs to fire only Copal 0 or 1 size shutters, so long-throw releases are not needed.
    3. To answer Paul Metcalf directly, the pressure required at the hand is to be minimized.

Thanks,
    Kumar

[QUOTE=B.S.Kumar;1293607]Thanks for all the responses, guys.
    I am helping my friend, who has arthritic hands. He cannot use the releases I have - takes too much effort.QUOTE]

Have you read our many suggestions? FWW my opinion is formed from having damaged hands, and arthritis. If you wish a cable assist, I will look into it. Keywords are 'mouse trap' kinds of assists we have had forever.

Jac, yes, I did read the suggestions, and I thank all of you for them.

1. I live on a small island with no camera shops. I can and will check the next time I go to Osaka or Kobe.
    2. I tried limiting the stroke on a few cables by first depressing the plunger, and then using tape to hold it in place, but the tape sometimes slips, making the cable unusable by my friend. The spring inside is constantly trying to push against the tape. As I said, some cables travel a fairly long distance before actually making contact with the shutter release lever. So I'd like to find a cable that has the minimum throw before pressing the lever.
    3. Is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38618-52-H...-/201448925880 what you suggested? Would you be kind enough to explain how it works?

Thanks,
    Kumar

Kumar - does your friend have trouble with just the thumb (or maybe the index or middle fingers) when depressing a typical shutter release? Is he able to squeeze his hand somewhat such that the bulb release that Jon Shiu shows in an earlier post can be used? Maybe even pressing the bulb between his palm and a flat surface or another part of his body (given the length of the hose on these he could even put it between his knees and squeeze it that way, or step on it with his foot). I have one of those bulb units and its not hard to squeeze for me but I am not suffering from any severe arthritis. I'll get into my darkroom storage and see if they have a shorter throw than the typical cable releases and let you know. I hope you find an adequate solution. Paul
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

You need to realize that the cable release tip pushes on the spring loaded shutter mechanism. The force to trip the shutter is the force needed through the cable release, no matter what cable release you are using. An assist type device may reduce the manual force needed, but I am not familiar with them to know for certain.

Paul,

Thanks, but we've already tried the airbulb releases - I have a couple of those also. They need significant pressure. The regular cable releases would be best for him.

David,

I'm afraid that's not so. The cable release is also spring-loaded, and some force is required to overcome that spring first. The Horseman needs much more pressure than the unnamed metal release I mentioned. Seiko shutters need a bit more force than Copals to trigger. If you use a paper clip to trigger the shutter, you will see how little force is actually needed. Most of the force is used in moving the plunger through the spring in the cable release.

Kumar

Change your thinking and methods of pushing a cable.

Like some have said, step on a lever, push on it with your palm, heck sit on it.

I submit this crude drawing. This could be made out of anything in any house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cable release lever.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	143344
    Tin Can

Thanks, Randy. There are different ways to skin a cat. I told my friend to use an air bulb release by stepping on it.

But I'd still like to know which commercially available, un-modded cable release needs the lowest amount of force, and the least throw to trigger a Copal 0 or 1 size shutter.

Thanks,
    Kumar

If I had the machine I used with my former employer I could have easily discovered this data.

MTS machines start at $1 million US.

I can relate to your friend, a few years ago I told folks here how I could not operate a Packard shutter. But I worked at for years and I can do it now. Still have bent arthritic fingers, this typing is killing me.
    Tin Can